Keeping Fondant Fresh

Decorating By Cakelayer Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 8:31pm by mamawrobin

Cakelayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelayer Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 6

I'm going to use some leftover fondant for my cake class next week and I was wondering if I should refrigerate it or if it's okay at to leave it at room temperature?

Thanks,
DianaJJ

5 replies
ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 6

All my fondant is stored in air tight containers at room temperature. I use Satin Ice, and it is good for about a year if stored that way...

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 6

I use Satin Ice and keep it at room temp., out of sunlight, airtight and in it's container. I use it quite frequently, so I can't be sure how long it can remain "fresh". The longest I've had some opened and unused was approx. 3 months. I think the key is to keep it sealed.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 6

Like zoesmums said, wrap in saran, put in an air tight container at room temp. Never put fondant in the fridge, it doesnt need it and keep it out of direct sunlight icon_smile.gif

Cakelayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelayer Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much for the answers. The fondant is the MM type that I made. Do you think that makes any difference?

DianaJJ

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 6

I make Michele Foster's Fondant and I keep mine double wrapped in plastic wrap and a ziplock baggie at room tempature for a month at a time without any problems. I've kept MMF for that long as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%