How Do I "doctor-Up A Boxed Cheesecake Mix"?

Baking By sugaah Updated 18 Dec 2014 , 2:29am by easy-as-pie

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 17

cheesecake is expensive to make - is it possible to doctor the JELLO no bake? Is there another way to make it cheaper? I'd like to prepare cheesecake petit fours for approximately 100 persons. Please advise. Thanks

16 replies
mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 17

Hmm I would probably do small dollop of whipped cream and then top with some a cherry and some sauce from cherry pie filling or maybe some other fruit or garnish.

I know my wife and a few others actually prefer the no-bake to real cheesecake because of how rich real cheesecake is.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 17

Not to TOTALLY derail your post, but how is it I didn't even know there WAS such a thing as boxed cheesecake mix?? How does that even work? lol Is it like a cheesecake-flavored pudding type mix that sets really firm? I'm speechless, truly! Learn something every day! Cheesecake is just so easy to me though, and frankly worth the expense--yummmmmm!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 17

I have seen the box cheesecake mix on the shelves, but have never used it. I make a cheesecake that uses 24 oz cc, 16 oz sour cream, 8 extra large eggs, a bit of flour, sugar and flavoring. My cost to put one together is about 10 dollars if I have bought the cheese on sale and frozen it for future use. My charge for 100 2 bite petit fours would be 9-10 doz at $24- $30 per dozen (depending on decos) Don't know exactly how many little bites my recipe would yield, but am pretty sure my cost would be below the magical 10%. That said, I want the people serving and eating my products to be wowed and don't think an altered box mix would be something I would be proud to sell. IMHO.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Not to TOTALLY derail your post, but how is it I didn't even know there WAS such a thing as boxed cheesecake mix?? How does that even work? lol Is it like a cheesecake-flavored pudding type mix that sets really firm? I'm speechless, truly! Learn something every day!

Seriously, you've never seen the box of Jell-o No Bake Cheesecake?

You are correct with what it is. It comes with the graham cracker mix to make the crust and the "pudding" mix. Its actually pretty good, IMO

sugaah Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 17

I know we all prefer the scratch stuff but I usually miss the sale and don't buy stuff until ready to make it. I'm more interested in knowing if I add cc or something to the box mix. Any advice. Thanks

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 17

Sugaah,
I have used the boxed Jello cheesecake and raspberry jam as a cake filling last year. I am not 100% sure but I think I used 1/2 mild and 1/2 heavy cream to give it a richer flavor. I have to tell you that everyone loved it icon_biggrin.gif . I was wondering myself if using Rich's Bettercream would work and make it a more stable filling. I hope to try it soon to see if it works.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 17

[quote="minicuppie"] Don't know exactly how many little bites my recipe would yield, but am pretty sure my cost would be below the magical 10%.

Ok...What is the "Magical 10% ???

sugaah Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 17

you mean instead of the milk break it down like that?

liz1130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz1130 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 17

I have used the jello no bake cheesecake as a filling. I usually add 8 oz. of cc. I have never heard any bad comments about it. Everyone loves the taste.

radtech Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 17

I should check my spelling! Whatever the box called for I used 1/2 milk and 1/2 cream instead of using all milk. Did I answer your question?

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 17

Please don't think I am a snob! I use altered cake mix recipes all the time, just not cheesecake.

sugaah Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:45pm
post #13 of 17

relax Minicuppie - we're on the same side.

Luff ya
Sugaah

radtech Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:49pm
post #14 of 17

I always make my own NY style cheesecake when I want cheesecake...there is nothing better but If I want something quick and easy this is pretty good and like I said everyone liked it. HAHA, I will take cheesecake in any form!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:02pm
post #15 of 17

ive never heard fo it either?? lol, i use bakerellas recipe icon_smile.gif very easy!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 11:26am
post #16 of 17

[quote="mayo2222"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Seriously, you've never seen the box of Jell-o No Bake Cheesecake?

Totally serious! lol I tend to shop around the outside of the market, for the most part (produce, meat, fish, dairy, bread, etc) and I try to stay away from a lot of processed foods, only venturing into the aisles for specific things like pasta, spices, etc (and I find myself shopping @ the big chain supermarkets less and less), so I haven't bought boxed pudding or jello mixes in, well, probably more than 20 years, so that would explain why I've never seen it lol.

easy-as-pie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
easy-as-pie Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 2:29am
post #17 of 17

I make chocolate covered mini cheese cakes all you do is melt some chocolate chips in the microwave & brush the inside of about a dozen foil cupcake liners with the chocolate & put them in the freezer until firm & then repeat the process. Then mix up your favorite store bought cheesecake mix according to directions drop a vanilla wafer into the bottom of each chocolate cup then fill with cheesecake mix & refrigerate till firm then top each one with your favorite pie filling

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%