Freezing Fully Decorated For More Than 1 Week

Decorating By iris219 Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 12:26pm by iris219

iris219 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone frooze a fully decorated fondant or buttercream cake for more than a week? I'm talking about freezing it for like a month or so?

Need lots of input on this as someone wants me to make a cake deliver it at the beginning of the month but will not be eaten until the end of the month.

It will be a 2 tier cake and will be traveling with the cake for 9 hours in about 80 degree weather. They don't know if they want buttercream or fondant yet. So any input on this is greatly appreciated.

6 replies
mamawrobin Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 7

I know that you can freeze fully decorated buttercream cakes for at least that long. The grocery stores and Wal-Mart do it all the time.

sdrper Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 7

Yes mamawrobin and we all know how they taste !

Mug-a-Bug Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 7

Sounds like a terrible idea. I would never attempt it. When I first started I froze some buttercream roses for a week or so and they absorbed all the yucky freezer smells. I would think you would have to seal it up airtight somehow.

tootie0809 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 7

I would day it's the same as brides who freeze their top tiers for their anniversaries. I tell brides who plan on doing that to make sure to put the cake in a box and wrap at least 3-4 times in plastic wrap, then wrap in freezer paper, and if possible to put the entire wrapped box in a freezer bag. I would imagine if you did the same thing for a cake being frozen for a month that it should still be okay.

metria Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 7

i bet if you box it up tight with layers of foil and press 'n seal, it'll be fine.

iris219 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I would day it's the same as brides who freeze their top tiers for their anniversaries. I tell brides who plan on doing that to make sure to put the cake in a box and wrap at least 3-4 times in plastic wrap, then wrap in freezer paper, and if possible to put the entire wrapped box in a freezer bag. I would imagine if you did the same thing for a cake being frozen for a month that it should still be okay.

Yeah that's right, I never thought of that. Thank you. Makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%