How Do I Make This Type Of Ribbon?

Decorating By thecakechic Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 9:09am by thecakechic

thecakechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakechic Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 5

attached are a few cakes with ribbons i would like to replicate
typically i coil fondant ribbons and apply to cakes with no problems but with this type of ribbon i am clueless how to do
how do you make these folds and how do you attach the ribbons to the cakes with out the fondant tearing? also can this be done on a buttercream cake
thanks for helping!
LL
LL

4 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 5

That is not so much a ribbon as a width of fabric that has been pleated and tied. Roll out your fondant wide, then pleat and apply directly to the cake. It takes a bit of practice, but well worth the effort. So elegant...

thecakechic Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 5

minicuppie - are you usings wooden dowels to form the pleats?
also how do i pick up the strip of fondant fabric without it tearing or stretching? i have attempted this and each time it seems so cumbersome and the fondant loses it pleated look
is this best to be done on smaller diameters too
obviously i need more practice
do you use fondant mixed with gumpaste? or a preferred brand of fondant, i have been using satin ice
can this be applied to a buttercream cake without mangling it?

sorry for so many questions ... i just want to master this technique
i really appreciate the tips!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, dowels work great. Work fast in a cold room, this will help keep your fondant from stretching. (a marble pastry stone wouldn't hurt, either) I made the drape, quickly painted with "fondant glue" and held in place for a LONG TIME. Find a comfy chair, LOL! You may have to practice a bit (I taught myself on a fondant covered cake dummy) but when you get it, you have an invaluable technique in your hat. Sorry, I have never worked this on BC. I also started with baby sizes and when that size worked, I went up in size. Just used the same fondant as was on the cake. Didn't want it to be a different texture, but that is just my opinion. I have seen tutorials for this, but cannot remember where. Good luck...take your time and try not to become too frustrated! IMHO, when something stops being fun, it's not worth it.

thecakechic Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:09am
post #5 of 5

thanks again for the tips ... very helpful!
i would love to locate the tutorial about this technique

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%