Cricut Cake Came Today

Decorating By SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Updated 6 May 2010 , 11:55pm by iluvpeeks

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:24pm
post #31 of 107

Cute cake! I have always like the wilton yuck tasting fondant for cutting things out. maybe even more if it works better than satin ice. I have super hot hands so satin ice is a struggle for me being soft. I wonder how fonderific is working with it?

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:26am
post #32 of 107

If you go to youtube and view Linda McClure video there, she gives you alot of real helpful information on how to make your gumpaste work. Fondant is to soft and strechy unless you mix 50/50 and let it set up and firm up before you cut it. Like let it set up overnight and seal it in a plastic zip lock bag on a plastic sheet already rolled out. Gumpaste works the best rolled out really thin. I learned alot that I did not know on this youtube video, I know for one it will help me right off the bat with alot the headaches of learning something new for the first time. Hope this helps guys., she and others have done alot of the homework for us. I thank them for that. happy Decorating icon_rolleyes.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:49am
post #33 of 107

I'll look for Linda's videos..but for some reason I was thinking she took all of them off. Anyway, as far as the taste of Wilton...hey, it's better than the taste of gumpaste LOL. At least the Wilton has a sweet taste, and in such small amounts I don't think it will be a factor. No I will still cover my cakes in satin ice, but the wilton seems to be the winner in the cricut department.

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:53am
post #34 of 107

Got mine yesterday and tried it tonight. I went out and bought some wilton fondant.
It worked great. Did NOT freeze it either. Rolled out thin enough to see line on mat. Let it set up a bit and cut cut cut!! Love this machine!!! icon_biggrin.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:33am
post #35 of 107

Umm... I think I'm missing something here.... but I can't figure out how you enlarge an image. Anyone know? I know it must be somewhere in the directions, just can't find it

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:44am
post #36 of 107

Kelli~ There is a size dial on the right. It will adjust the size.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:33am
post #37 of 107

I think I have a box of Wilton in the storeroom. Will have to pull it out to try. Have you read that people are saying Wilton seems different- much better tasting? I make MMF for quick stuff, and have made MFF, which was great. So much easier to open a box, and have it be white instead of offwhite.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:58am
post #38 of 107

OMG I'm such an idiot! I was looking through this book and looking at all theses buttons... but FIANLLY looked down and found it! BTW, changed my speed to medium, and pressure to 2 bars and it's working better... not cutting my mat anymore.

Linda, Wilton does taste a little better now... it's still not mmf or satin ice, but it's better. But the way I look at it is, hey if you're going to put gumpaste on it, might as well use wilton, it taste better than gumpaste at least!

makyta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makyta Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 11:26pm
post #39 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Here's a little cake I thew together using the cake. Simple, but thought it turned out okay for my first attempt to use the machine. icon_biggrin.gif

Beautiful cake..... thumbs_up.gif

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:45am
post #40 of 107

Yay! I got good results tonight... I am very happy! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 3:57am
post #41 of 107

Still waiting on mine!

HSN actually called me yesterday to tell me it was still on backorder but I should have it before 5/7.

icon_sad.gif

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:15am
post #42 of 107

Got mine three days ago and have been SO busy at our bakery, I didn't even get to take out of the box until today. Got it set up on the counter, but still have not had time to make anything yet. I have no idea where to even begin. I was planning on using Satin Ice gumpaste when I do try it. I see where people have tried SI fondant, without much success. Has anyone tried the SI gumpaste yet? Can someone post the link to the Youtube videos by Linda? THANKS!!!

Jaime3679 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:16am
post #43 of 107

Got mine three days ago and have been SO busy at our bakery, I didn't even get to take out of the box until today. Got it set up on the counter, but still have not had time to make anything yet. I have no idea where to even begin. I was planning on using Satin Ice gumpaste when I do try it. I see where people have tried SI fondant, without much success. Has anyone tried the SI gumpaste yet? Can someone post the link to the Youtube videos by Linda? THANKS!!!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:17am
post #44 of 107

I'm finding myself looking for reasons to use it lol... I had it cut out dots for one cake, then did a name plate with sweet 16 (attaching pic), swirls to go on a strawberry shortcake theme, and the bday girls name for the front of another one.... all things I could do by hand, just addicted to the cricut right now lol.
LL

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:20am
post #45 of 107

You're not alone JaimeAnn. I ordered mine from cut n crop and it wont ship until the 7th. icon_cry.gif

I can't wait to make my first cake. I've wanted a Cricut machine for more than a year now, but I kept waiting for something better to show up on the market. When the Cricut Cake came out I new it was the right choice for me and quickly put in my order.

Jaime3679 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:27am
post #46 of 107

I had a fan of our facebook page (The Cake Barn) send me a comment telling me it was on Home Shopping Network. I got online right then and ordered the bundle pack that came with lots of extras and I also ordered the tool kit. I got it in within a few days... just haven't had time to use it yet. We have been CRAZY busy at the bakery, which is a good thing, but I can't wait to try it out and since I don't know AT ALL how to use it, I am going to need a lot of time to just play with it at first. I hope it's not too difficult. From what I see that everyone has posted and made so far, it seems really neat.

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:36am
post #47 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Still waiting on mine!

HSN actually called me yesterday to tell me it was still on backorder but I should have it before 5/7.

icon_sad.gif

Ditto for me

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 7:45am
post #48 of 107

I love your hello kitty cake, kelli! So adorable! I'm working on my first cricut cake tonight. I've been playing with it for about a week, and like you, finally discovered that Wilton is what's working for me. I'm sad to hear Satin Ice isn't working - I have a bucket on the way and was hoping it would work!! Oh well - Wilton really doesn't taste that bad anymore - my hubby even said he liked the flavor - I do too icon_smile.gif

So anyway - the cake I'm doing tonight is for my hubby's birthday tomorrow. For whatever dumb reason I didn't think to put his name on it - just a generic Happy birthday lol! Oh well - I don't have a Gypsy anyway or any way to combine the letters into one form yet as this is my first experience with any cricut machine. It seems to be cutting Wilton fondant just perfectly. I'm really glad! I'll post a photo tomorrow when I'm able to upload - hubby is hogging the desktop as usual icon_smile.gif

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 11:24am
post #49 of 107

Satin Ice can be used straight out of the bucket. Roll it to 1.5mm thick. Let it rest for approx 15 min. Then cut on speed 1 Pressure 4. Here is a photo. The RIGHT SIDE was cut with the cake. All where cut on speed 1, the P=pressure used and the time it was allowed to set. http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com/images/100301_1367-lg.jpg

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 11:50am
post #50 of 107

I am still waiting on mine too!!! Will not be shipped until the first week in May! I already have several cakes lined up. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 1:31pm
post #51 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferAtwood

can be used straight out of the bucket. Roll it to 1.5mm thick. Let it rest for approx 15 min. Then cut on speed 1 Pressure 4. Here is a photo. The RIGHT SIDE was cut with the cake. All where cut on speed 1, the P=pressure used and the time it was allowed to set. http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com/images/100301_1367-lg.jpg

Thanks for the info Jennifer, I'll try letting it rest for 15 mins, and cutting it with that speed.... I put it in the freezer during one attempt, but maybe my speed was still too high.... going to try it again. I have had success with satin ice on really simple designs, although I still have to smooth the edges some where it pulls.

Jaime3679 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 2:50pm
post #52 of 107

Are yall using satin ice fondant or gumpaste. I really hope the satin ice gumpaste works since I just received a large shipment from CK products. Everyone who says Wilton works the best, are you talking about fondant or gumpaste?

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 4:49pm
post #53 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime3679

Are yall using fondant or gumpaste. I really hope the gumpaste works since I just received a large shipment from CK products. Everyone who says Wilton works the best, are you talking about fondant or gumpaste?

Hey Jamie, I'm talking about fondant. I haven't even tried gumpaste yet... I prefer to put fondant on the cake if it's going to be sliced and served to eat.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:17pm
post #54 of 107

there is a thread on different ones using chocolate clay also with the cricut. when i get mine, can,t wait to try that. also sharon zambito has a thread about how good wilton fondant taste to her now. she doesn,t mess around with what she has to say. i add chocolate clay to wilton . makes it taste very good. i read that on this site. and it does work. i made beautiful roses for the students and they loved them. wilton fondant , wilton white disk. i use merkens also. so things might be just perking up for all of us. we all like different things, and that is good. i think satin ice has a chemical smell and taste. but lots love it . i like pettinice. some don,t. so here we stay.lol i truly want to use fondant or fondant and chocolate mix to make my decorations with the cricut. then do just like linda mcclure's dvd's show.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:44pm
post #55 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

I'm finding myself looking for reasons to use it lol... I had it cut out dots for one cake, then did a name plate with sweet 16 (attaching pic), swirls to go on a strawberry shortcake theme, and the bday girls name for the front of another one.... all things I could do by hand, just addicted to the right now lol.

I feel so stupid asking, but how did you get it to cut out "sweet"? I was trying to use mine for the first time today, but between the baby screaming and the middle two fighting, I couldn't think to figure it out! I ended up just cutting a couple of scallops, but I wanted to cut out the Happy Birthday on the cake basics cartridge... dunce.gif

artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #56 of 107

Dumb question here..... I tried cutting gumpaste with my cricut last night, and even though I rolled it very thin, there were roller marks every 2 in. throughout the design. I had it set on the lightest pressure possible. How do you cut a design without the center rollerbars making a groove? If you let it set up a while before you cut, does that eliminate the problem?

Help,help!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #57 of 107

icer101, your post would be so much easier to read if you would use Caps for new sentences. Everything just runs together and is difficult read. There is a thread on here somewhere about using chocolate clay with the cricut.

agconner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agconner Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 6:03pm
post #58 of 107

I tried satin ice gumpaste yesterday and I had to freeze it for about 30 mins before I got anything I could use. The detailed stuff wasnt working at all. I also tried the icing sheets that came with the cricut, got some good results with those too but again only on things like letters and simple designs. I think it is going to take some playing with before I find what works with detailed images.

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm
post #59 of 107

I will not be purchasing one because of the issue involving Linda McClure. She taught several people how to use that machine and one is posting here as well.
As a hobby cake decorator I know the market is tight and through this great web site we share ideas to grow the world of cake. However, when a person or company uses something that was not their intellectual property to begin with and does not compensate that person well I am not going to support that sort of abuse.
It is a lack of ethics and morals in my opinion.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 7:10pm
post #60 of 107

Yes, she did teach a lot of people.....for a fee. She has also sold a lot of DVDs, which I have bought and have no intention of not using them. I pre-ordered my cake cricut long before her issues were made known to me. I feel bad for LInda, however she's a grown woman and should NOT have devulged so much information to PC without the signed, non compete papers in her hands. It's unfortunate PC hasn't stood behind their word but I blame those issues on Linda's Attorney.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%