Cricut Cake Came Today

Decorating By SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Updated 6 May 2010 , 11:55pm by iluvpeeks

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:36am
post #1 of 107

Woo Hooo icon_lol.gif
It came today, and I opened the box and set it up. But I let it sit there all day just looking pretty and red... didn't want to spoil my excitement just yet by trying to do something with it icon_biggrin.gif
Has anyone else worked with theirs yet?

106 replies
lis73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lis73 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:48am
post #2 of 107

Mine came today too. I was a little disappointed with the DVD, it wasn't as informative as I had hoped. Plus, it seemed like most of it was trying to sell you on the machine. I already bought it! Am excited to give it a whirl. Good luck to you. Oh, yes one funny; my son said "Mommy I thought you were getting a grasshopper?" icon_smile.gif

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:07am
post #3 of 107

I got mine also!! My husband said he couldn't remember the last time I was so excited. Can't wait to try it out!!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 107

Mine came yesterday too. Played a little last night. Gotta get off of here so I can play some more!

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by lis73

Mine came today too. I was a little disappointed with the DVD, it wasn't as informative as I had hoped. Plus, it seemed like most of it was trying to sell you on the machine. I already bought it! Am excited to give it a whirl. Good luck to you. Oh, yes one funny; my son said "Mommy I thought you were getting a grasshopper?" icon_smile.gif

that is too adorable!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 107

If you want informative DVDs you need to order from Linda McClure.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 107

Mine came in on Monday. I did a little test run using Satin Ice fondant (straight from the bucket) straight from the bucket. I was not very happy with the results. I will have time on Saturday to play with it a little more. I think I know what I did wrong. The DVD that came with it is no help at all. The designs on the cartriges that came with it are beautiful!

Edit: Added picture of my results. icon_smile.gif
LL

TLCDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TLCDesserts Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 107

I got mine the other day and played around with it a little. I got a "tips and tricks" page with mine and it said to place fondant in the freezer for about 30 minutes before cutting with the Cricut. I'm excited to try it on fondant. I only used the frosting sheets that came in the bundle on Monday just to see how it cut and show my husband what it was capable of doing. icon_smile.gif

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 107

I got mine yesterday, spend yesterday and last night veiwing the DVD and reading all the material that goes with it. The DVD is very basic, like someone said there should be more to it. There is so much you can do with this machine, no matter I will play and just have fun with it., like anything , just know the basics and learn from there and also lots of great posts here on CC about it. I going to love this machine. Have fun everyone...... icon_lol.gif

tiggy2 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 107

There is more to it but you have to pay for it. Provo Craft chose to @#$% over Linda McClure after she showed them everything so they excluded her from the videos.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:36pm
post #11 of 107

I had to buy one too - waiting for it to come. I feel guilty cause my mom got me the regular one for my birthday in the fall and I was hoping to use that for cakes. Figures this one would come out!

Now I'd better make sure that somehow I use the other one or maybe I can sell it to someone?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:23pm
post #12 of 107

I've done a series of blog posts about the cricut (I have the expression, not the cake one). You need to make sure the gumpaste is thin thin thin, and let it dry out. If it's too wet it will pull and tear.

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:28pm
post #13 of 107

Lucky, lucky ladies! I am still waiting for mine. Sigh.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm
post #14 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChapman

I got mine the other day and played around with it a little. I got a "tips and tricks" page with mine and it said to place fondant in the freezer for about 30 minutes before cutting with the . I'm excited to try it on fondant. I only used the frosting sheets that came in the bundle on Monday just to see how it cut and show my husband what it was capable of doing. icon_smile.gif

Did you put the frosting sheets in the freezer prior to cutting?

sgraff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgraff Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:21pm
post #15 of 107

There are a lot of frustrated people on the Cricut messageboards who are finding that it is not as easy as the HSN demos made it seem!!

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:33pm
post #16 of 107

I got mine yesterday and tried the icing sheets. I had a few images get recked becasue they lifted from he mat. But maybe I didnt put enough crisco?
I feel dum asking this but I would like to try some things out on paper first how do you cut paper tape it to mat?

craftybarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybarb Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #17 of 107

I recieved mine yesterday and I also just let it sit on my table so I could look at it before I get started with it, My husband said I would rather have my cake cricut than him Ha Ha.

tiggy2 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:40pm
post #18 of 107

There are mats for the other cricuts that have sticky on them to hold the paper.

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftybarb

I recieved mine yesterday and I also just let it sit on my table so I could look at it before I get started with it, My husband said I would rather have my cake than him Ha Ha.

Is that a problem? icon_lol.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:48pm
post #20 of 107

Ok, I tried it with wilton Fondant without putting it in the freezer and it worked great. Tried it with Satin Ice without putting it in the freezer and it didn't work at all. Going to try satin ice in the freezer for 30 mins and gumpaste next. Still having trouble with really intricate designs. My first impession is good.... really easy to work so far!

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:50pm
post #21 of 107

I REALLY want a cricut cake but I only do this as a hobby so it's hard for me to justify the expense. However, hubby is on this big kick about needing a NICE bicycle so I just keep letting him research and keep watching the price go up so that after he buys it, it will be really hard to tell me no!

hehehe

Ivy383 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:00pm
post #22 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Ok, I tried it with wilton Fondant without putting it in the freezer and it worked great. Tried it with without putting it in the freezer and it didn't work at all. Going to try in the freezer for 30 mins and gumpaste next. Still having trouble with really intricate designs. My first impession is good.... really easy to work so far!

I tried Satin Ice after 30 min in freezer and it did not work. Then I left in longer the second time (45min) and it did not well. I posted a pic of the results. icon_smile.gif I will try Wilton fondant and gumpaste this weekend.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:12pm
post #23 of 107

Tried Satin ice in the freezer. It seemed to cut okay, but it tears really bad when I try to remove it. I'm thinking Satin Ice isn't good for this machine. I love it for covering cakes, but I'm thinking it's going to be too much trouble to use in the cricut.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:16pm
post #24 of 107

Here's a little cake I thew together using the cricut cake. Simple, but thought it turned out okay for my first attempt to use the machine. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Lcubed82 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:17pm
post #25 of 107
Quote:

Here's a little cake I thew together using the cake. Simple, but thought it turned out okay for my first attempt to use the machine. icon_biggrin.gif

It is wonderful! Do tell:
What kind of fondant/gumpaste?
How thick?
Did you freeze, or let "dry" before cutting?
Is Kitty done w/ Cricut, or colorflow?

TIA!

Ivy383 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm
post #26 of 107
Quote:

Here's a little cake I thew together using the cake. Simple, but thought it turned out okay for my first attempt to use the machine. icon_biggrin.gif

I love it! I can't wait to play with mine on Saturday. Did you use fondant or gumpaste?

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm
post #27 of 107

I used wilton fondant... no freezer... I let it sit for about 5 mins before I cut. Rolled it thin enough that I could see through the fondant and see the lines on the mat. I pulled the excess fondant off and let it sit for about 10 mins before I pulled the designs off. Oh and I forgot to say that kitty is done with edible image...sry about that.

Lcubed82 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:45pm
post #28 of 107

Thanks! I would imagine doing just the Dec with Wilton isn't a prob for flavor, as the decs often come off as cutting anyway!

Ivy383 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:04pm
post #29 of 107

Thanks! I know that I am rolling it out to thick. I think that's my problem.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:17pm
post #30 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraff

There are a lot of frustrated people on the messageboards who are finding that it is not as easy as the HSN demos made it seem!!

Sorry, I just think this is funny since they were all about how easy it would be to just sell your cakes and rake in money to pay for the machine twice over (no mention of how you might have to have a license to sell cakes or that cakes need to be level, etc., etc....) icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%