Imbc And Refrigeration

Decorating By frostie Updated 4 Aug 2013 , 1:13am by BatterUpCake

frostie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:34am
post #1 of 12

I have an order for a 50th anniversary cake in July. She has requested Italian Meringue Buttercream. I have never worked with this before. So this afternoon I made a practice batch. It turned out good, I love the flavor and can see how nice it will spread on a cake, but I am concerned about how long she can keep it unrefrigerated at the reception, with the real egg whites and the butter in it. How long can this frosting be kept out of the refrigerator?

11 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #2 of 12

According to ServSafe guidelines a product can be kept out of the refrigerator for a total of 4 hours. The clock starts ticking the minute it leaves the fridge. If it is kept out of the fridge for the entire 4 hour block, then any left overs must be discarded as they are no longer deemed safe to eat.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:47am
post #3 of 12

I haven't made IMBC in a while but I'll add my two cents anyway. I've read conflicting info about this. Some sources say to keep it refrigerated but some also say that its ok since the egg whites are essentially "cooked" by the sugar syrup. Is the reception going to be outside? If it is...I'd keep it refrigerated as long as possible until serving time. If not...I think it should be ok.

I made a cake using SMBC (I meant to write SMBC) not too long ago and ate off it for 4 days at room temp and it was fine. NOT that I am recommending that but I think the IMBC should be fine for sitting out indoors on the day it will be served.

HTH

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:47am
post #4 of 12

Does that rule apply if you use the egg whites in the carton from the grocery stores, they are pasteurized.

Lita829 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:48am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbcake

Does that rule apply if you use the egg whites in the carton from the grocery stores, they are pasteurized.

They should DEFINATELY be pasteurized.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:49am
post #6 of 12

I think the only time you would have any leeway is when using meringue powder or dried pasturized egg whites in place of the liquid ones.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:40am
post #7 of 12

I agree about the conflicting information out there. Some will tell you four hours, some will tell you eight hours, some will tell you two days. With pasteurized EW I have NO hesitation leaving my IMBC out for 8-10 hrs at a time (as long as we're talking room temp, not "hot"), however, I always keep it refrigerated for storage, both before serving and afterwards if there are leftovers.

I always use pasteurized EW in my IMBC, but usually I have to find a generic brand as the All Whites product doesn't whip up for me. Dried ew worked fine, and I would assume meringue powder would work but with all of the extra ingredients in it, I don't use it.

Anyway personally I would not be concerned about it sitting out INDOORS at the reception, but frankly my opinion shouldn't be relied upon for your business decision icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif.

p.s. if you are new to IMBC, check out Antonia74's preparation and smoothing tips. Her smoothing technique is THE BOMB. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=imbc&&start=15 scroll down to her post halfway down the page, the one with the pic of a bench scraper.

Lita829 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:58am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

I agree about the conflicting information out there. Some will tell you four hours, some will tell you eight hours, some will tell you two days. With pasteurized EW I have NO hesitation leaving my IMBC out for 8-10 hrs at a time (as long as we're talking room temp, not "hot"), however, I always keep it refrigerated for storage, both before serving and afterwards if there are leftovers.

I always use pasteurized EW in my IMBC, but usually I have to find a generic brand as the All Whites product doesn't whip up for me. Dried ew worked fine, and I would assume meringue powder would work but with all of the extra ingredients in it, I don't use it.

Anyway personally I would not be concerned about it sitting out INDOORS at the reception, but frankly my opinion shouldn't be relied upon for your business decision icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif.

p.s. if you are new to IMBC, check out Antonia74's preparation and smoothing tips. Her smoothing technique is THE BOMB. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=imbc&&start=15 scroll down to her post halfway down the page, the one with the pic of a bench scraper.

All the conflicting info can surely drive a person batty icon_sad.gificon_lol.gif . When I said indoors, I was assuming that there would be an AC running. I am not sure which part of the country the original poster is from but I was thinking it would be cooler indoors than out.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #9 of 12

I use IMBC exclusivly but I use powdered egg whites. My IMBC has sat out for 8 hours for weddings (room temp) and at my home I've had it out for a couple of days with no problems.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 12

I know this is an old thread...but see no reason to open a new one. I use IMBC and SMBC. Whenever I refrigerate it it separates and I have to whip it again. Why doesn't it separate on the cake? I usually keep it refrigerated until delivery.

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 12:04am
post #11 of 12

AI've never had my IMBC separate so I can't help there but I thought I'd respond to bump the thread up. I'm really curious about how long people think it stays good both at room temp and in the fridge. I first learned of IMBC at a culinary school class and I think we were told it keeps for a week in the fridge. I'd love to read other info on this since I almost exclusively use IMBC in all its forms!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 1:13am
post #12 of 12

I know youcan freeze it as long as you thaw in the fridge then bring to room temp. But it most likely will separate and require whipping

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%