Colouring Smbc

Decorating By mcaulir Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 12:26am by ceshell

mcaulir Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:03am
post #1 of 6

I have only tried this once, but had difficulty getting wilton gel colour to mix in with the SMBC. I'm wanting to make a powder blue this time.

Just wondering if I should use a different kind of colour, or if I just didn't try hard enough! icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

5 replies
drakegore Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:36am
post #2 of 6

i use only smbc, and i use both americolor and wilton. never had any problems with americolor, but occasionally with the wilton i do (usually it is darker colors).
i have used the wilton cornflower and delphinium blues without any problems. have you tried those colors?
if you have the time though, go find americolor gels, i think they are far better than the wilton colors.

for dark or deep vibrant colors, i will often use the candy colors which are oil based. i get better results with those for dark colors.

diane

mcaulir Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:52am
post #3 of 6

Thanks heaps! I suspect that I just didn't try hard enough. Shall try to find the colours you mentioned.

ceshell Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:29am
post #4 of 6

Diane, how much Americolor do you find you need to put into a batch of icing to get a good color? I can only ever get my IMBC to pastel. I tried SO hard to get a simple yellow color even, using half a jar of candy color (Wilton, I admit) as well as Americolor yellow. I finally gave up and put fondant on the darned thing! How much do you use, and also how much CAN you use before it starts to affect the flavor? Thx!

drakegore Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 6

hi ceshell!

i can get light to medium tones (vivid yellow, dark pink, dark violet, vivid lime...) without affecting taste or texture of my smbc (the recipe i use has quite a bit of butter in it, i don' know if that makes a difference). but when i need a royal blue, red, dark purple, forest green, i have to use candy colors otherwise the consistency of the bc is altered and it is hard to apply and smooth. i did a dark royal blue with candy colors last year (everyone's mouth was soooooo blue) and even with candy colors i had to use so much that the icing was too soft/liquid and it was a nightmare to apply (but it firmed up in the fridge), but it didn't affect the taste.

i like using americolors "electric"colors when i need something more vivid/dark than pastel. i am in love with the green and blue from that group.

diane

ceshell Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:26am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the info Diane!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%