Placing A Cake On Wood, Like You See On Tv???

Decorating By 82carly Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 3:32pm by pattigunter

82carly Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #1 of 8

I am about to make a 3d cake that will need support through out the object in order to stay vertical.... I see them on ace of cakes building cakes within a wooden frame.... is this okay? or is it coated with something they are not showing?

7 replies
ibmoser Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:49am
post #2 of 8

I am watching an episode right now that shows them placing what appears to be foamcore board cut to fit on the cake surfaces that touch the wood structure.

KathysCC Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:20am
post #3 of 8

I am getting ready to make a 3-D horse that is supported by a wooden frame. A Cake Central member has told me that she coated her wooden frame with something called Butcher's Block. It is an oil that seals wood and is food safe. Search Butcher's Block Sealant or Oil on Google.

Another friend suggested that I cover the wood with press-n-seal as an extra protectant and I am going to try that too. Since the cake I am making is for children that I know will try to eat everything off the cake, I want to be sure nothing is actually touching the wood.

On Ace of Cakes, I think they use something to protect the cake itself from the wood and metal frames that they use but I've seen them put modeling chocolate straight on a piece of metal which can't be food safe. I think they probably only serve the cake that is protected and don't expect people to eat the RKT or modeling chocolate that is stuck to the wood and metal frames.

Lcubed82 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 8

I put some heavy cakes on wood, but they also had their cardboards under, so were not directly on the wood.

pattigunter Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 8

I was wondering if you could "paint" the structure with melted candy to cover the wood?

msulli10 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 8

Put the cake on a cardboard cake round (or whatever shape you need) first. Then adhere it to the wood with buttercream or royal icing.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 8

I placed a train cake on a wooden board. I cut a piece of cardboard the same size as the wooden board, then covered the whole thing with fondant as well. Worked great! I now get nervous placing a cake on anything but a wooden board.

pattigunter Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 8

I was referring to internal structures that might be wood - not the board. Painting with melted candy seems like it would work as long as you let it dry good before stacking cake next to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%