Fondant Help!

Decorating By ambermarie Updated 2 May 2010 , 3:25pm by ambermarie

ambermarie Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone,

I am new to cake decorating and I'm wondering what type of fondant everyone would recommend. I have heard the Wilton brand tastes terrible so I've ruled that one out. I've tried the Satin Ice brand for my very first fondant covered cake (in my pics section - tried attaching below and it won't work) and, while it came out nice for my first try, I noticed it got kind of dry and looked almost like elephant skin. You can see where I had a hard time with cracking and smoothing the corners in the pic. Also, I had to leave it out in the car overnight (it was winter and the cake was too big for my fridge) and the next morning I noticed a crack down the middle where the two cakes met ( I had to put two 9x13's together to make the long shape of a keyboard). I'm thinking maybe I didn't roll the fondant thin enough.

I've just recently heard of Fondarific and Fondx and was wondering what everyone thought of that. I will be making a couple of cakes in May and June in NY, so I would like it to stand up somewhat to heat.

Any tips and tricks anyone can give me in working with fondant and reviews on different types of fondant would be VERY helpful and VERY much appreciated!

10 replies
catlharper Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 11

Rule of thumb is: if it's cracking add more shortening, if it's sticky add more powdered sugar. Sounds like you didn't add enough shortening into the fondant you bought. Working with fondant is an "on the job training" sort of thing....the more you work with it the more you learn it's in's and out's and how to correct it. Humidity and heat won't be your friends and patience is a virtue when working with it...but the result is well worth the work.

dguerrant Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 11

I only make my own, after trying to find one that tastes good, I gave up. I flavor mine to match the buttercream flavor underneath.

Sweet_Guys Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 11

We highly recommend Fondarific....There are so many flavors to choose from and because it's tasty, our clients tend to actually eat the fondant rather than peel it back....It was designed in Savannah, GA (high humidity) so it will stand up to NY temperatures....When putting it on, if you should tear, it heals very nicely with fondant smoothers...Also, it is a little higher-priced than some of the fondants out there, but you are able to cover more cakes with it since you can roll it out to 1/8" or thinner rather than recommended 1/8"-1/4" for some of the others.

Paul used to live in the Albany area...Where are you?

Paul & Peter

ambermarie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:06am
post #5 of 11

I didn't know I could add shortening to it! I was using the powdered sugar on the table and rolling pin because it kept sticking...I guess I must have dried it out. I was having such a hard time with it because I had to color it gray and black and the coloring was getting ALL OVER my hands so I used gloves but then the fondant stuck to them so I used more and more powdered sugar. I guess that was a mistake! haha.

I currently live near the Albany area! I'm from upstate but I'm trying to move back to New York City which is where I was living before I moved back home.

murph12 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 11

how do you get fondant to stick to buttercream?

mamawrobin Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 11
Originally Posted by murph12

how do you get fondant to stick to buttercream?

Do you mean like fondant cut outs? I make a glue with a marble size piece of gumpaste and a small amount of water. I paint that on the back of my cut out with a small paint brush.

tiggy2 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 11

Cracking down the center where the two were joined together may have been caused by the cake not being completely level and smooth before applying the fondant.

ladyk333 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 11

Would the fact that it froze overnight in the care have been a problem as well? I'm not sure, but was thinking it could have been part of the problem.

I make an edible glue out of a little bit of Gum - Tex powder and water, mixed very well. I let it sit overnight, covered in the fridge and it works great. For fondant decorations on fondant, I just paint a wee bit of water on the back and it sticks well.

Good luck!

ambermarie Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:32am
post #10 of 11

I was wondering if the fact that it was in the cold car overnight had an affect on it as well. I'm not so skilled in fondant so I'm not sure if putting it in a fridge or in the cold bothers it at all...anyone know the answer to that?

ambermarie Posted 2 May 2010 , 3:25pm
post #11 of 11

Another questions re: fondant....

How do you color the premade fondant without getting the dye all over your hands?? I used gloves so my hands wouldn't get stained but the fondant kept sticking to the was very frustrating and I'm wondering if there's a better way...any tips?

Quote by @%username% on %date%