2 Simple Questions Re: Ribbon And Sps

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 10:41pm by Karen421

cloetzu Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 10

I'm wondering if someone could shed some light on two items:

1) when you are adding a satin ribbon to the base of the cake (to decorate and cover up the bottom seam on cakes) how do you attach it - not only to the cake but to itself once it wraps around? I tried using double sided tape but it let go after a while ....

2) when you use a SPS do you put the cake directly onto the plast plate of the SPS or do you first put the cake on a cardboard plate and then put that on the plastic SPS plate?

9 replies
karebear34453 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 10

I usually use just a dot of buttercream to attach the ribbon at the seam, and if need be I pipe buttercream all the way around the cake to attach the ribbon.

dguerrant Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 10

To attach the ribbon, a dot of buttercream, or a large stainless pearl pin. For the SPS question, I put the cakes on cardboards, push in the plate and legs into the lower tier, smear some royal icing on the plastic plate, then position the cake on top.

Karen421 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:38am
post #4 of 10

leah_s has made it very easy for us .

Cariad Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 10

I use either a small dot of Royal Icing or just water.

When using water I use warm water from the kettle and just paint the ends of the ribbon about an inch with the water and press the ribbon to the icing then pull gently on the other ribbon end and place on top of other ribbon end. I paint a little more water on the two end if need be once they are together.
The warmth of the water melts the fondant underneath slightly and when the ribbon dries it sticks nicely to the surface.

Another method is to wet all of the ribbon then run your fingers down the ribbon squeezing any excess water out and place around cake.

cloetzu Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks everyone!

cloetzu Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 10
Originally Posted by Karen421

leah_s has made it very easy for us .

Thanks that does help! One question - she makes the hole in the middle of the cardboard - I'm assuming that is so you can push a dowel in to hold it together ???? but I don't see her referencing a dowel? so if not what's the hole for? I've looked at the sticky and read the picture but still dont' see what the hole is for? I'm obviously missing something!

Normita Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 10

SPS does not use a center dowel. The SPS plates have a little peg in the middle sticking up....so you get your cardboard without the cake on it....place it over the SPS plate so the peg can make a little hole in the cardboard. I then get a skewer or whatever you have on hand, and make the hole in the cardboard slightly bigger. Your cake will be on that cake board. When you are getting ready to stack your cakes....you slowly slide the cake on to the SPS plate and the little hole in the cake board will slide into the peg on the SPS plate. Does this make sense. Leah explains this all on the sticky icon_smile.gif

It might not seem like that little peg will make the cake sturdy.....but it really does icon_eek.gif

cloetzu Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 10

thanks Normita - I read the sticky - or at least I think I'm ready the sticky and don't get that from it. Thanks for explaining - it does make sense!

Karen421 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 10

As soon as you hold the SPS plate you will see the little peg in the middle, then it will all make sense and "fall into place".

Quote by @%username% on %date%