Individual Cakes Help!

Baking By lynseyg2002 Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm by lynseyg2002

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 6

I am trying to make individual cakes for a wedding but they keep sinking, I've tried everything I can think of but they still sink. Does anyone have any tips or advice that could help as they are due saturday and i need to do 90 of them. I'm not sure of quantities/temp from american to english though. Thanks

5 replies
dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 6

What exactly do you mean by 'sinking'? What are they covered with, how big are they etc... can you give us more infor? That may help us to help you.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 6

If you are trying to bake the individually, I would switch to baking a large sheet and cutting them out instead.

lynseyg2002 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 6

They were sinking in the middle and i didn't know how to stop it. I have found that using a different recipe has worked so far.I'm wondering if it was my recipe that doesn't work in these particular tins. They are holding out weel so far and no sinking. Thanks for answering though, it is appreciated.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 6

Here's a list of why cakes sink in the middle:
http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/bakingtips.cakesandtortes/CakesandTortes.cfm

Overbeating too much air is incorporated into batter.

2). Underbaking - Oven temperature too low and/or too short a baking time.

3). Over or under measurement of liquid or under measurement of flour.

4). Using too small or large of a baking pan.

5). Moving or jarring cake before sufficiently baked or opening the oven door before cake sets.

Note: Only open oven door if absolutely needed, one-half to three-quarter's way through baking.

6). The most common error has to do with the oven temperature. Make sure you have an oven thermometer to test your oven for accuracy.

7). Depending on the recipe if you fold in egg whites, if not beaten fully or folded in too harshly, the cake could fall.

8 ). Even creaming the butter and sugar too much or too little can cause problems
------------------------------------------
And according to Joy of Baking website: http://www.joyofbaking.com/ButterCakeTroubleshooting.html

CAKE SINKS IN THE CENTER -

- batter over mixed
- too much fat and/or sugar or leavening
- not enough liquid
- oven temperature too low

CAKE DIDN'T RISE (COMPACT TEXTURE)

- improper mixing
- butter and eggs wrong temperature
- too much or too little fat
- too little baking powder or baking powder is too old
- oven temperature too hot
- wrong pan size

lynseyg2002 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much for the advice. The cakes managed to rise, all of them! icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1655854.html

My sister and her new husband loved the cake.

Thank you again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%