Help With Rolling Fondant.

Decorating By maryblausey Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 5:19pm by mama2_3

maryblausey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryblausey Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 10

I have a few questions. The other day I made MMF for the first time and put it in the fride overnight like suggested. However, it seemed to me like that just made it harder to roll out. Is it a good idea to keep it in the fride, or is it OK to roll it out right away. Also, is it better to use corn starch or powdered sugar. I had a lot of trouble with it sticking when I tried to roll it out. (I used powered sugar.) Any suggestions to make it easier to role? THANKS!

9 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 10

How much did you knead it before trying to roll it out?

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 10

I usually take it out of the fridge a couple hours before I need to use it; I also put it in the microwave for a few seconds in low (3) to help me out.

maryblausey Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 10

I kneaded it for about 10 minutes I would say.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 10

I knead a little at a time and then work it all together and knead it as a whole. It seems to help me to do it this way. I never refrigerate my fondant though.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 10

I always refrig my fondant over night. It helps the sugar crystals absorb. Then I take it out and microwave it from 15 secs to 1 min in the microwave (check every 15 seconds to see if it's soft enough) then knead it for a few minutes till it's the consistancy I want. Large batches are done in sections and then kneaded together at the end. HTH

maryblausey Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 10

Thanksicon_smile.gif These tips should really help me!

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, I always pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it and when I roll it out I use as little PS as possible and keep picking it up and move it around to keep it from sticking to any un-powdered areas on the table.

LindieLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindieLu Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #9 of 10

i always microwave mine for about 15 seconds as well. Just be careful not too put it in there too long as it will melt. Since it's pure sugar, it doesn't take much for it to heat up.

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 10

I never refrigerate mine, either. I also zap it in the micro briefly to help soften it up and save my hands the extra work.

Also to help with it sticking I just dust it with a bit more ps and make sure to keep my hands clean and dry. They tend to get warm and then the ps gets sticky. As another person said, I pick it up and turn it quite often, too.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%