Hating My Modelling Paste Right Now!!

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 1:49pm by minicuppie

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 2

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! so frustrated - i've always used my Lindy Smith gelatine based fondant receipe to cover cakes and then used the scraps with gum tragacanth or CMC to make into modelling paste and apart from the odd ball that turns a bit lumpy its always been good to work with.

since i got my shop i dont know if its the increased tempreture with the oven always being on or just a different atmosphere but all my modelling paste is going really lumpy with huge hard bits in it so i cant add colour without the lumps showing up - also im not getting a nice texture and the colour looks nice but dries streaky - grrrrrrrr! also sometimes they are cracking right through the middle which is so disappointing and time consuming to make again icon_cry.gif

i had noticed that Lindy Smith is now selling Artista Soft for figure modelling - has anyone heard of this? Its extortionately expensive so i thought id give Fimo pollymer clay a go - does anyone use this for modelling? Ive seen a lot of bride and groom toppers made from it and it does give a nice finish and is ready coloured and is a lot more durable than sugar so id feel more confident making standing figures etc - just wondered did anyone use this regularly??

icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 2

I think you are correct about the ovens. The constant heat will dry your scraps out faster and dry fondant won't take color well. About the clay...I am seeing lots of quite cute toppers made from this product, as it makes a permanent work of art that can be preserved for future use (anniversaries come to mind). Check on etsy.com for examples. Of course it is not edible so you will need some type of barrier between the clay and the cake. An appropriate size plastic base can be disguised to either blend in or decorated to accentuate your creation. OBTW...love your shop. If I ever make it to Belfast (from Texas) I will stop by for a bite!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%