What Knife For Carving

Decorating By cakeaddiction Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm by tastyart

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 9

I am in need of a good knife for carving cake and also one for cutting it when I have to construct a cake. I'm not sure which brand or what size...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the advice!

8 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 9

I have two that I rely on when carving cake. One is a good serrated bread knife (I have two of those) and one is a small sharp paring knife. I use both of those on every cake I carve. HTH

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:28am
post #3 of 9

So just a regular bread knife? A certain length or anything? Thanks again.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:46am
post #4 of 9

I would also like this information, I think you need a smooth knife for trimming the sides of cakes, I use a long serrated knife for torting small cakes. I don't remember the brand name, my husband insisted I get them bless his heart and they were pricey.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:02am
post #5 of 9

I use a bread knife as well--I prefer the one with really really fine and small teeth.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 9

I use a large bread knife for bigger cuts and then I have another smaller knife with teeth that I use for the other trimmings. I like the different sizes depending on what I am doing.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I use a bread knife as well--I prefer the one with really really fine and small teeth.

What brand do you have Rylan?

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 9

I don't like using a serrated knife.... too many crumbs and jagged edges. My hubby just bought brand new knifes (Wusthof Classic Knifes). Bed Bath and Beyond sells these. If you want to buy a good quality super sharp knife I recommend spending a few $$$ and get one of these. I would go with a 6" kitchen or sandwich knife. Size and style is just preference. Just be sure to go with a really sharp one!!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 9

I also use a bread knife for some of my carving. My absolute favorite is a tomato knife. It has a narrow blade that is easy for cutting curves and is very sharp and serrated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%