Tips For Cutting Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By debbief Updated 1 Feb 2014 , 2:20pm by Cakeladytrainer

debbief Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 10

I've made a few fondant convered cakes now but I've never actually been around for the cutting/serving. I just made one for a baby shower that my sister hosted. She said the cake was a big hit but they had a really hard time cutting it with the fondant. I've always wondered about that. Other than peeling it off first, is there any other tips I can give people for when they cut the cake? One of the problems may be that my fondant may be a tad bit on the thick side icon_redface.gif ....and it's mmf if that makes a difference.

One more question while I'm at it. I've been using those plain cardboard cakeboards to put under each tier. They are not coated in wax or anything so should I be covering them with something before I put my cake on it? I'll bet they get soggy after awhile and when you cut the cake I just imagine the knife tearing through the soggy cardboard. Am I just being paranoid or am I doing this wrong? I figured they sell them for this purpose so why would they need to be modified? Thanks very much for any advice!

9 replies
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 10

I never cover my cake boards that are between tiers. Honestly they don't get "soggy" .

I've never had any trouble cutting a fondant covered cake. More than likely it was the knife.

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 10

I agree with Mamawrobin, it was probably the knife.

A smooth sharp knife works much better than a serrated one. I use MMF and have never had trouble cutting the cake.

KathysCC Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 10

If you are concerned about the plain cake board then you can put some waxed paper on it. Just glue the waxed paper to the board with a bit of icing and that gives is a little bit of a moisture barrier.

I find that waxed paper or parchment paper is a must under the board for a tiered fondant cake. The fondant just sticks to the cardboard and peels off the cake when you try to separate the tiers. The wax paper keeps it from sticking and is easy to remove.

I agree with the other posters. I use a large sharp smooth knife for cutting fondant covered cakes and never have a problem. Serrated knifes or cake cutters just won't do it.

mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 10

I do have to say that I also cut a piece of wax paper to place between the cake board and the cake on my tiered cakes. But I don't cover the cake boards thumbs_up.gif

catlharper Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 10

If the room is warm and the buttercream under the MMF as well as the MMF has had a chance to begin to soften up then there may be a problem cutting it. I agree with everyone else...it was probably the knife they used to cut it.

Majie Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 10

i always cover my cake boards with foil paper. it preserves the cake and it looks neater when you cut the cake. i cant imagine an uncovered board. Fondant is easy to cut, the other guys are right, check the knife.

debbief Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you all for the replies. Makes sense that a smooth, sharp knife would work better than a serrated knife. For some reason I just had this visual of the knife smooshing the cake rather than cutting through the fondant. I'm really going to have to cover and cut one sometime just to see it for myself.

I've read about putting the wax paper between the board and tier underneath so it doesn't stick...always think that's a good idea but I keep forgetting to actually do it!

Thanks again for your help icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 10

I forgot to mention earlier, I cover my boards with press and seal wrap. The fondant on the lower tier doesn't stick to it, and the wrap attaches well enough to the board that it doesn't rip when the cake is cut.

Cakeladytrainer Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 10

I just did my first fondant cake for a baby shower of a friend. We had much trouble cutting the cake. I noticed that someone commented about the cake being room temperature which probably made it too soft. Forgive my ignorance, but someone told me fondant should not be refrigerated because the color can bleed out of the fondant and into the cake. What is the proper storing of a cake, let's say, overnight? 

Also, I think I had mine too thick as well. Could it also be that my fondant was not pliable enough? Videos I have watched seemed to have much more flexibility than my fondant.

Another question; My cake seemed to be crumbly and I know it was not overcooked. Just a box mix. Should I be using something sturier than a mix?

Thank you soooo much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%