Questions About Freezing Cake

Decorating By blueirus Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 5:08pm by mamawrobin

blueirus Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 4

I would like to start freezing my cakes so that they can be made ahead of time. I know they have to be wrapped (don't want dry cake of course) but am unsure of the extend to ensure they don't dry out. How do you wrap your cakes to freeze and how long can they be frozen for?

3 replies
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 4

several layers of plastic wrap if they're going to be frozen less than 3 days.......if going to be frozen longer I add an extra layer of heavy dut foil on top of the plastic wrap (by the way I've frozen a cake for 2 months like that and it tasted FABULOUS!)

leily Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

several layers of plastic wrap if they're going to be frozen less than 3 days.......if going to be frozen longer I add an extra layer of heavy dut foil on top of the plastic wrap (by the way I've frozen a cake for 2 months like that and it tasted FABULOUS!)

Same here. I just took one out of our deep freezer that I forgot to date and I am pretty sure it had been in there for 4-6 months (i don't remember the last time I baked that shape of cake) I served it with some strawberries and whipped cream for dessert with some guest and they all thought I baked it that day. Little did they know I couldn't remember when I baked it icon_smile.gif But it did taste good still.

mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

What she said thumbs_up.gif If the cakes are 8 inches or smaller, after wrapping in 3 or 4 layers of plastic wrap I pop them in a gallon zip lock freezer baggie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%