Onsie Baby Shower Cake....need Help Fast!!!!!!

Decorating By cmgary Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm by chassidyg

cmgary Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have the instructions on how to make the Onsie baby shower cake? I am making this for a shower next week and would like to know the following:

what size sheet cake pan is to be used for both a blanket underneath and the actual onsie on top?

is there a template to carve the onsie, if so can someone please tell me where to find it?

When making the sheet cakes for the blanket and the onsie are these one layer or two?

I need to know how to make buttons to go around the edge of the blanket. Does anyone know how to do this? If so please share.

Anyone's help on this would be greatly appreciated. This is my first Onsie cake and I want it to be awesome.

Thanks for all your help. I really do appreciate any information that can be given.

3 replies
tastyart Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 4

Do you have any pictures of what you want to make? I could answer your questions better if I knew what you were aiming at.

I make buttons by using a piping tip (large end) as a cutter. Cut out the large circle of fondant. Then use a small tip to cut the holes for thread. If the holes need to be really small just use a toothpick.

aundron Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 4

Do you have a picture of what you're trying to make? Not understanding the blanket part of the cake.

Also, when I do my onesie cakes, I use the 11 x15 size. Because I freeze my cakes, they are wrapped up in saran wrap, so, when it's time to get the shape I want, I use edible markers to draw on the saran wrap to see what I will be cutting, if I mess up, I can always wipe off the marker and keep drawing the shape I want on the Saran until I get the look I'm going for. After that, I just take a knife and follow the shape that I just made on the cake. Is that clear, or am I babbling? icon_smile.gif

chassidyg Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 4

I have one in my pics, it's 11x15, I made it 2 layers, I googled onsie template and enlarged it with my pic program to the size I wanted, rolled the fondant, and used a sharp knife to cut it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%