Sea Turtle Sizing, A Little Stumped.

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 2 May 2010 , 7:56pm by amarilloyankee

JCE62108 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 10

Im trying to figure out the best way to make this 70 serving sea turle cake for this weekend. At first I thought I could just stack a 16, 14, and 12 and carve from there, but I'm worried I may have to carve away too much to make the oval shape. I calculated that would give me 89 servings, but I think that is a little close considering Im going to have to carve quite a bit to get the shape.

Then I considered baking 3 16" squares, and stacking two, then cutting the third in half and stacking it up front to make a rectangle, but I think that will be too short, plus it would be a lot of waste.

Do you guys have any other suggestions for me? If not I may have to run all the way to the cake store today to pick up some oval pans, because I dont have time to order now. I wish I would have thought of the oval pans originally! I was just thinking I could use what I had on hand, but I dont think its going to work now the more I think about it.

If I get oval, I was thinking Id stack (2) 16" and (1) 13". Should give me about 90 servings before carving.

If you guys dont think using what I have will work, then Ill go run out today after the babies nap. lol, I hate going there though. Its a 3 hour round trip. icon_rolleyes.gif

This is gonna be an awesome cake though. Im looking forward to it. If anyone here has done a sea turtle before do you have any tips for me?

Oh and do you think two 1/2 inch foam boards stacked together will be enough to support the weight? Ive never used foam core for a heavy cake before, but since this is a weird shape I thought I'd do it this way. Thanks guys!

9 replies
JCE62108 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 10

Does anyone know what size oval pans come in the kit by Wilton that they sell at michaels? If I can go there it's like 45 minutes closer.

nicoles0419 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 10

i made a turtle with half the ball pan and 8x8 cut out legs and head. you coulc put that on a 12x18

DianeLM Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 10

IMHO, a sea turtle's shell is shaped more like a heart than an oval. I bet if you either trimmed the top 'humps' or added more cake around the humps to round it off, you'd have the shape you need.

And yes, two 1/2-inch foamboards will be plenty of support.

JCE62108 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 10

I see what you mean. Now that I look at my photos Im seeing it is more of an egg shape rather than an oval. Im sitting here looking at my pans and trying to figure out what you mean though, about the humps. lol. I think trying to attach extra cake to it to give it the correct shape is just going to be a pain. I called Michaels and they have that wilton set in stock, and I have a coupon! So I think Im going to run over there right now. If I have the ovals, then I really just have to shape the back slightly, and taper the shell towards the back just a bit. I think that will be easier than trying to turn round pans into oval, and sticking cake here and there to get the right shape. icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 10

Nevermind. My brain is having issues today. I was about to get it the car and then realized I can cut an oval out of what I already have. Why in the world would I get oval pans. Plus I can probably make it more of the correct shape because I can make the front wider and still taper it off at the end by the tail.

Can I blame it on hormones? My brain is gone lately. icon_sad.gif

DianeLM Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 10

Glad you got it figured out before you wasted a trip and a coupon!

Talk about brain issues... What I meant by 'humps' is just the top of the heart, opposite end from the point. I'm sure there's a clearer way to describe that part of a heart-shape, but if my brain knows it, it's doing a great job of concealing it. I apologize for being so cryptic and confusing!

JCE62108 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 10

LOL! I got it figured out so it's all good. icon_biggrin.gif I knew I was on the right track when I first decided to do it this way months ago, and of course I start freaking out and second guessing myself because the cake is this weekend. Just a little nervous about this one. Never done a turtle before. My carved cakes always seem to come out surprisingly well though, so Im not too worried. icon_smile.gif

I am now freaking out over the seaweed that is going on this cake, and about my splatter effect for a bowling cake Im doing. So now it's one crisis down, two to go. icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 10

I forgot to post it! Im so proud. icon_smile.gif I surprised myself with this one. I didnt think it would turn out as good as it did.

amarilloyankee Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 10

OMG I love your cake!! My youngest is called Turtle and I might need you to message me how you did that so I can make him a cake for his 1yr birthday in Sept!

(should be interesting since I have only made 3 cakes that didn't stay in the pan before-I am that much of a newbie to making cakes)

You are very talented! Thanks for sharing

Quote by @%username% on %date%