Looking For A Safe Way To Carry/travel Gumpaste Flowers

Business By dalis4joe Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 8:51am by dalis4joe

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 7

Hi my fellow CC'ers:

I had a bridal show this past weekend... and I took 5 dummy cakes and a lot of gumpaste flowers for display... well DH packs the dummy cakes very good in a way that they don't get damaged at all... using foam in the boxes... so we have that covered....

Now gumpaste flowers... well that's another story... more than half of the flowers we took...broke icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

My questions to you... Do you know of a "special" method to pack them or carry them so they don't break...
I had like 10 beautiful Orchids and u know how thi the petals are... well they all broke... I was so heartbroken... they are very time consuming when making them but it's so gorgeous the end result...

Any tips/pointers/tricks... would be appreciated inmensly (sp?)

thanks in advance

6 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 7

Thin foam and bubble wrap. What I have done is poked the stem of the flower through a square of thin foam slightly larger than the flower, then stick the stem into a dummy. After filling the dummy with flowers, weave bubble wrap between the flowers and around the outside.

For flowers like orchids where the petals may crash into each other when bouncing around in the car, place a tiny piece of foam between the petals.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 7

I order flowers from cakedeco.com all the time and they always pack like DianLM suggested........they have a sheet of foam in a box with slits cut into it, then the stems go down into the foam and are folding underneath, then another piece of foam is placed on top and then the lid to the box. They fit snugly in there so that there is no movement! That's really important when packing anything fragile, if it can move around it will destroy itself with every bump!

dalis4joe Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 7

You guys.... awesome... thanks so so much.... I think I know just how to do it now... will give it a try...

PS I almost cried when I threw them out today lol... so beautiful ~sigh~

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:18am
post #5 of 7

We have several shoebox size plastic containers that we loosley fill with cotton, then spread flowers out so they dont touch.The cotton seems to "grab" and hold flowers so they dont move.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:56am
post #6 of 7

I wrap gum paste flowers very loosely in cheap toilet paper--lots of it--and place those bundles on more toilet paper loosely unspooled into shoe boxes. I make sure that as I wrap, I get paper between as many petals as possible.

I've driven and flown with flowers this way and never had any breakage.

Rae

dalis4joe Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:51am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I wrap gum paste flowers very loosely in cheap toilet paper--lots of it--and place those bundles on more toilet paper loosely unspooled into shoe boxes. I make sure that as I wrap, I get paper between as many petals as possible.

I've driven and flown with flowers this way and never had any breakage.

Rae

thanks!!! u know while packing to come back fom the show I did wrap a few in tissue paper and they made it back just fine... so that sounds great... off to the dollar store for some cheap TP lol thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%