How Small Is It Safe To Go?

Decorating By kermitncupcake Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 3:15pm by kermitncupcake

kermitncupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kermitncupcake Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone.
Im just wondering how small I can go in diameter and thickness if Im making a tiered cake? One I am designing wants a 2 or 3 layered cake,but it only has to serve 20 people. Would it be ok to make a 'mini' cake? or would it be too unstable?

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 5

Whenever I have someone ask for a 3-tiered cake, I tell them it will have a minimum of 40 servings (4-7-10). I won't make a smaller cake, mainly because I think it looks silly.

Instead of making three tall tiers, consider making the middle tier half-height.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 5

mini cakes get you into a whole different arena of work! (aka LOTS of it!)

I have made a little 5", 7" tiered cake (picture attached) and it was so little and cute.......I considered it to be 20 servings. 7"=15 serv. 5"=5 servings

4" cakes can be a pain, but they are doable!

Here is a little cake I made using a single layer 6",5",4", 3" cakes......I considered it to be more like 10 servings (since they were single layers)

If I were you, I'd offer up a 2 tiered cake or have them go with more servings and just cut bigger slices!
LL
LL

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 5

I've only done 6" and 8" and that's like 40+ servings.

kermitncupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kermitncupcake Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guysicon_smile.gif
Helped alot. Still not sure what Im going to do, but having the ideas ou there help. And Ive got abit of time to think about iticon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%