Questions About Baking A Sheet Cake...

Baking By SandiOh Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 3:05pm by SandiOh

SandiOh Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 7

Never baked one before...I have a 12 x 18 x 2 pan, I was thinking of 1 1/2 x my recipe as I plan on cutting it in half to use as two layers. Will that work?

Any tips on baking with this size? should I use more than one nail? or should I use cooking strips? should I bake at a lower temp? (325?)

Any advice is appreciated, thank you in advance...
Sandi

6 replies
indydebi Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 7

I bake all of my cakes at a lower temp, no matter how big or small.

I use baking strips on all of my cake pans, no matter how big or small.

I've never used flower nails in any cake.

A 12x18 uses 3 cake mixes. Sounds like you're a scratch baker, so if your batch of batter is the equivalent of one cake mix, you'll need 3 batches to bake a 2" 12x18 sheet.

If you're planning on baking two 1" tall sheets, then you're 1-1/2 times plan sounds right. thumbs_up.gif

tastyart Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 7

I do things a little differently from indydebi. I use flower nails in a sheet that large. You could also use a heating core. I have a 11 x 15 pan and I have baked it with and without the nails. I think the nails help speed up the baking time for the middle of the cake. That way the edges don't get too done while you are waiting on the center. In a cake that size I use 2 nails. To nail or not to nail is mostly determined by how your oven works and how yoru particular recipe works. I never use baking strips. When I tried them, I couldn't tell a difference and found them to be a pain in the butt. To be fair, my stips were homemade. Maybe the real ones are more worthwhile.

I second indydebi's reccomendation on cake batter amount.

Happy baking!

DeeDelightful Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 7

I bake that size all the time. I use baking strips every time and always put one flower nail in the middle of the 12 x 18 pan. It may work without that, but i have gotten the best results doing it that way. I use the WASC version and use one full recipe of that. Chocolate cake still rises a little more in the middle, but white and yellow cakes usually bake very even and very close to 2 inches high. I've used one recipe of WASC in a 11 x 15 pan and really get a nice tall cake (using the flower nail in the middle takes the stress out of baking, for me). So are you cutting the cake in half to get a 2 layer 9 x 6 or are you torting a 12 x 18?

KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 7

I use 2 flower nails, no bake even strips, and 325 for about 50 min.

I also use about 16-18 cups of batter

DeeDelightful Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, i bake at 325 also. I start at 30 minutes, then check and usually end up baking another 15 minutes or so.

SandiOh Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 7

thanks everyone. cakes in the oven with two nails at a lower temp. I did 1 1/2 x batter. thanks for the advice.

deedelightful, I am cutting it in half to make a 12 x 9 cake.

Thanks,
Sandi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%