Recipe For Good 'carving' Cake

Decorating By ecstaticjellybean Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 12:59pm by ecstaticjellybean

ecstaticjellybean Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:23am
post #1 of 7

Apologies if this question has already been asked somewhere, but i couldn't find it!

I've recently started baking cakes for people outside the family, and have been asked for one shaped like a car.
I need a new cake recipe that will be dense enough to stand up to being played around with and cut into shapes, while not appearing too 'heavy'.

I have just been using victoria sponge but of course the idea is so get that as light and fluffy as possible, so not really the best option!
I would like a good chocolate cake recipe as well, if possible.

Thank you in advance for any comments or advice!

XX

6 replies
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:28am
post #2 of 7

I add an extra egg and a box of instant pudding to my cake mix. I also cut the amout of oil in half.

ecstaticjellybean Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:31am
post #3 of 7

Wow, thanks for the quick answer!

I've never used cake mix, is there a way to make it from scratch? Also not sure about pudding mix......don't think we have it in the uk..

mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:41am
post #4 of 7

I wondered about that when I posted my reply icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I don't usually bake my cakes from scratch and I rarely do a carved cake so I don't know what you would do to make a scratch cake more dense. Maybe do a "dense scratch cake for carving" search on here and see what may pop up.... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif or better yet, maybe someone will jump in and answer your question thumbs_up.gif

Good luck icon_wink.gif

ecstaticjellybean Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:45am
post #5 of 7

Thank you - I'll try the search.

Any other advice welcome!

brincess_b Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 7

id go for a maderia or pound cake. probably maderia - not quite as dense, but still very good for carving, especially if its not that complicated a shape.
xx

ecstaticjellybean Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 7

Hmm yeah i was thinking maderia actually, for the texture I wanted! its nit too complicated, just a square for the bottom and a smaller one on top, only carving is for the wheel arches. Not familiar with pound cake, will google!
Thanks x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%