How To Do This Teddy Cake??? Any Ideas Please?

Decorating By rsj23 Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 7:52am by rsj23

rsj23 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:52am
post #1 of 14

Hi, I am VERY new to cake decorating but i've been asked to do the cake under this link:
http://www.elitecakedesigns.com.au/sleeping_teddy_cake.html#christeningcake1
Can someone please give me very brief step by step instruction how to tackle this? the teddy on top is to be made from cake as well. its only for about 60 people coffee serves.
Im thinking obviously ice the base cake first, then carve the head and body and ice the pieces separately? my worry is that the teddy might sink into the cake? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

13 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:47am
post #2 of 14

It doesn't look like the teddy is cake, probably gumpaste/fondant mix. That is how I would make it. It will probably be next to impossible to make the teddy out of cake that small.

LateBloomer Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:35am
post #3 of 14

I agree with pattycakes. Use flowerpaste, make the little features, stick with thinned flowerpaste or glue. Use spaghetti to attach the head. For the ears make 2 circles put them on the face and push down with a fluting tool or even a pen. This makes the indent. Attach the stars to florist wire by pushing the wire into them. You can put glue or eggwhite on the wire. Put them into drinking straws or sucker sticks and instert into the cake. Good luck!

iamcakin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:53am
post #4 of 14

Hi and welcome to CC!

This tutorial may be helpful. Although it isn't exactly what you are looking for it may get you started!

http://cakecentral.com/articles/136/how-to-make-a-tiny-teddy-bear

rsj23 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you all for your helpful advice!
Unfortunately, they want the teddy out of cake as well - so the head would probably be the size of a large grapefriut icon_wink.gif Im not too worried about the body because it will be covered with the blanket. I suppose if I just did the head and some sort of body shape out of cake, I could do the rest out of flowerpaste? Do you think that the head may be too heavy and sink into the mudcake underneath?
So sorry for all the questions!!

ayerim979 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 14

You can maybe make the body out of a bunt pan and just ask to compromise the head and make it out of RK.

Hope you find a solution soon.

casme Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 14

Why not put a cakeboard under the head with dowels in the cake below. Could also do this for the body part,just cut out the shape

prterrell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 14

You're the professional. Sometimes it's up to you to educate your clients on what is and what isn't possible.

sammie192 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #9 of 14

I have a question about her fiqures she saids they will last for years? maybe not the exact words but what is she using for her figures? and what is flowerpaste ? they color fade from mines.

casme Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:47am
post #10 of 14

iF YOU ARE REFERRING TO GUMPASTE FIGURES THEY DO LASTONCE THEY BECOME ROCK SOLID. i HAVE SOME THAT i HAVE STORED IN A BOX THAT ARE 4 YEARS OLD AND THEY HAVE VERY LITTLE FADING. nO DETERIORATION SO FAR. tHEY ARE ONLY MADE OF GUMPASTE

tiggy2 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:57am
post #11 of 14

Hope they're paying the price that is on that link.

Charmed Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:26am
post #12 of 14

maybe you can do something similar to this for teddy's head and body using ball and wondermold pans :
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage
&pid=87279

AnotherCreation Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:41am
post #13 of 14

omg.....Some of the prices on that site are $11 per serving. Don't get me wrong, the cakes are very well made and I only wish I could charge that much icon_biggrin.gif My cakes are far from that!!!

rsj23 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:52am
post #14 of 14

Thank you for your help! Will try making the teddy out of a lighter cake, I will have to make it work somehow. By the way, that cake shop is in Sydney Australia, so the prices are in aussie dollars.... but thats what proffesional cake shops charge for cakes in Sydney!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%