Topsy Turvy First-Timer....several Questions

Decorating By pasquerto Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 11:24pm by TheCakeShak

pasquerto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pasquerto Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:02am
post #1 of 8

Hello Everyone,
I am doing my first whimsical cakes EVER and though I have looked up several articles I'm still having trouble deciding what to do...

The cake is for 125 people and is supposed to be three tiers... How many cakes do I need to bake in which sizes to make this happen? (I know how to assemble it just not the sizes needed.)

How many lbs of fondant do you think I will need for this???

The colors of the tiers are supposed to be neon yellow, green and hot pink...any links to articles about how to get those colors? Will they bleed like crazy? Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

7 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 8

americolor makes electric colors.....I used the electric green, electric blue, electric purple, electric yellow, and pink for this TT cake.
LL

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 8

I agree on the colors - Americolor has some good neon ones.

As for sizes I like a larger size difference for TT, I think it gives it more of an effect.

I would do 6-10-14 which would give you 129 servings if they were just 4" tall tiers. So going 6" tall (at your highest point) and doing some carving you should still have enough cake for your 125 ppl.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 8

just for reference the TT pictured above was a 6",9",12" all were 6" tall on the high side and 4" tall on the short sides of the cakes (once carved) I tapered them in by 1-1/2 inches so the top was 6" tapered in to 4 1/2", middle was 9" tapered in to 7-1/2", bottom was 12" tapered in to 10-1/2"

HTH

pasquerto Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 8

That helps a lot thanks...any more advice?

pasquerto Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #6 of 8

Will 6,10,14 be proportionate? How many lbs of fondant to be safe (I have to order it....small town)

pasquerto Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 8

bump

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 8

If you go to the Satin Ice website, they "did" have, don't know if it is still there, a chart for how many pounds of Fondant you would need.

You can also check at the Sugar Craft or Sugar Shack website too. Look for the fondant and then I believe you have to scroll down for the chart.

Back at the Satin Ice, they have a toll free # you can call for Q's too.

HTH

There's also on You Tube, type in Topsy Turvy Cakes and you can see a video on total assembly, etc... for this cake.. They are indeed so much fun to do!
Can't wait to see your pics......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%