Baking Powder

Baking By jeanbeard Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm by prterrell

jeanbeard Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:44am
post #1 of 4

Hi, does anyone know anything about aluminum free vs regular baking powder? Is there any reason to use one over the other? Is there a taste difference?
Thank you!

3 replies
jennywenny Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 4

Some people claim they can taste the aluminium. I'm a gigantic fan of shuna fish lydon, an expert pastry chef and blogger at eggbeater and she says she can taste it.

I've found recently that all the supermarkets have switched over to aluminium so I'm using that but not happy. The only place I can find it without aluminium is smart and final but I'm really scared it will go off and ruin my cakes!

bonniebakes Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 4

I'm someone who can taste the aluminum in baking powder, so I use aluminum-free baking powder.

The only exception to that is there is one brand (clabber girl, maybe?) that has aluminum but is guaranteed peanut free. I have some of that on hand in case I bake for a friend who has a severe peanut allergy (she can't taste the aluminum in it anyway), but I won't eat anything that I've made with it.

prterrell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 4

Rumford brand BP is also aluminum-free. It's the only brand I've ever used and what I grew up with. There has been linkage by some scientists to consumption of aluminum and Alzheimer's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%