Do You Line Your Cake Pans?

Decorating By mayo2222 Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 1:08pm by mayo2222

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:23am
post #1 of 13

Just curious how many people used parchment or wax paper to line their pans.

12 replies
Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:32am
post #2 of 13

Grease only...I make my own.

mayo2222 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:36am
post #3 of 13

I have been using grease only (homemade bakers grease) and have been getting inconsistent results (cake sticks to bottom of the pan) so I was considering using some wax paper as well.

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:13am
post #4 of 13

I grease and flour the sides and put wax paper on the bottom. Sometimes if I forget and leave the cake in the pan for a bit too long, a little bit sticks to the wax paper but that is only if it sits too long.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:16am
post #5 of 13

I use homeade pan grease, equal amounts of shortening, oil and flour and I always line the bottom of my pan with wax paper. I've never had a cake to stick since I've used these steps. I also grease the top of the wax paper after placing it in my pans.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:09am
post #6 of 13

I like the homemade pan grease too, and find it works really well on 6" cakes. However I am too chicken to try a larger cake without lining the pan, so for 8" and up I line the bottom with parchment. It may be totally unnecessary - I know several pros here who have NO problems using all pan grease - but I consider it my insurance policy.

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:26am
post #7 of 13

homemade grease...interesting...do you make only enough for the pans your going to use or do make a larger amount and store?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:16am
post #8 of 13

I make a larger amt and store. They say it can be stored in the cupboard since it is only fats and flour, but I keep it in the fridge anyway.

Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:41am
post #9 of 13

I only use pan release and have never had any kind of issues with my cakes sticking...even after forgetting about them and not turning them out for over an hour. icon_razz.gif I, personally, would NEVER use wax paper. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the idea of melted wax permeating my entire cake. Parchment paper is another story. I do use parchment paper for many other baked items and love it. thumbs_up.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:13am
post #10 of 13

Baker's Joy only most of the time. I use parchment paper only when I am making WASC, which seems to stick more often.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:54am
post #11 of 13

Bakers Joy and Baking Paper...around the sides and on the bottom always.
Don't like flouring my pans - i think it makes the outter edge of the cake just that tad firmer.

ceshell
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:16 pm Post subject:
I make a larger amt and store. They say it can be stored in the cupboard since it is only fats and flour, but I keep it in the fridge anyway.

Glad to read that you keep it in the fridge - as fats can and do go rancid - just like flour.

Bluehue

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:38am
post #12 of 13

homemade pan grease and wax paper on the bottom. I make up the pan grease but the mixer bowl full and store for a couple of months in the cabinet.

mayo2222 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:08pm
post #13 of 13

Leah, Robin or anybody else- other than greasing the bottom of the pan and then the wax paper are there any other tips or things to watch out for when baking cakes with wax paper lining?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%