Writing On Cakes ...

Decorating By bmoser24 Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 5:51pm by prterrell

bmoser24 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:10am
post #1 of 4

I saw someone use a marker to write on cakes....can i use icing colors? i cant find the markers...in black, only colors. ...and should i use a brush or tooth pick?

3 replies
cupcakeology Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:25am
post #2 of 4

Americolor does sell a 2 pack of black foodsafe markers. We get them from CK Products.

mom2twogrlz Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:26am
post #3 of 4

Yes, you can use the gel colors to write on a cake. I like to use a thin angled paintbrush. Depends on how dark you want the color, you can either use the gel straight or diluted slightly with water or vodka.

prterrell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 4

I would not use gel straight as it takes forever to dry.

The best way to make a quick-drying edible "paint" is to mix gel paste color, dried food color, or luster dust with a few drops of a neutral-flavor liquor, such as vodka or everclear (although, in a pinch, I have used vanilla flavored clear rum on cakes and cookies that were vanilla flavored).

If you do not have those on hand, a clear, alcohol-based extract, such as artificial vanilla, lemon, or almond can also be used.

The amount of alcohol needed is very little. It evaporates (well, like 99.999% of it does), leaving behind just the color.

A new paint brush can be used to paint the desired details. I use artificial (poly) artists paint brushes with plastic handles as they can be run through the dishwasher and come in a wide array of bristle shapes and sizes. I run the through the dishwasher after purchase and before ever using on cake, just to make sure they are safe.

Hope this long (detailed) reply proves helpful to you!

Happy Baking! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%