So What Am I Doing Wrong? Shiny Fondant

Decorating By lis73 Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 1:04am by ChoueiriCakeCo

lis73 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:15am
post #1 of 12

I covered the cake with a 50/50 blend of MFF and Wilton premade fondant. ( I know, it was laying around!) I watched tutorials from aine2, and her fondant covering always looks so clean/dry. As you can tell from my pics, my cake is SHINY! Not to mention wavy. So, how do I work with the fondant without it sticking, cracking, or looking like it took a bath in Crisco? I do grease the surface I am working on in addition to my hands. Any suggestions for a drier look? Skip the Crisco entirely? I welcome any advice. I have learned so much from trolling the forums here, and am always grateful for the knowledge/skills you all so willingly share.

11 replies
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 12

One of the reasons that I don't like MMF is that everytime I've made it it was too shiny for my taste. I do use crisco to roll out my fondant but once it's on the cake I dust with cornstarch and use my fondant smoother. I can't use the smoother on the crisco. I use a vinyl mat so I use very VERY little crisco. Maybe a TBSP at the most. I don't know how much crisco you used. I never use crisco on my hands when I'm covering a cake. I wear gloves and they're dusted lightly with cornstarch to help them glide over the cake.

bmoser24 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:27am
post #3 of 12

I use mmf all the time. It tastes good and is economical and quick.
I only use crisco on my bowl, spoon, and a little on my hands now and then. After getting a nice constistancy with PSugar....i switch to cornstart for rolling coloring and reworking. I always let my mmf set overnight. It is never shiney like that.... if anything i have to work a little shortening in because it will be dry looking or wrinkle. Sometimes i even use steam.

ecstaticjellybean Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:05am
post #4 of 12

See I'm also new to working with fondant - On my first cake I was kneading in colour on powdered sugar and it was cracking really badly, so I changed to cornflour and the fondants texture was perfect.

Next time I used cornflour from the start and the texture was awful, although I was sealing the edges as soon as i put it on the cake, the icing was still cracking.

So do you guys recommend using powdered sugar to knead in colours, then cornflour when rolling out to cover the cake?

We don't have crisco in the UK - is it like margarine? Sorry OP, hope you don't mind me muscling in on your post!

chocolatestone Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:24am
post #5 of 12

I use vegetable shortening in the same manner but my fondant never turns out shiny. I sprinkle cornflour over the surface after rubbing it with vegatable shortening. I also sprinkle just a little on top of the fondant so that the rolling pin doesn't stick. I also use shortening on the rolling pin and on my hands. You only need a little shortening.

leah_s Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:33am
post #6 of 12

I use veg shortening to put a thin film on my counter to roll on. Over the entire counter I use perhaps a half teaspoon.

lis73 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:13am
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the help.
Leah and mamarobin, mind if I ask what type of fondant you use? icon_wink.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:31am
post #8 of 12

Did you use MMF (marshmallow fondant) or MFF (Michelle Foster's fondant) with your Wilton? I've never made MFF but I have made MMF and it hasn't been shiny.

You really shouldn't have to use much shortening if you have good fondant. A little may be required if you start seeing cracks, but I don't use any unless absolutely necessary. Maybe try less shortening next time.

leah_s Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:48am
post #9 of 12

I use SatinIce and I just went thru a bucket of Fondex. I like both. I made MMF once - blargh. Commercial fondant for me, please.

xinue Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:51am
post #10 of 12

I only use corn starch or powdered sugar to dust my working surface, works like a charm!

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:56am
post #11 of 12
Originally Posted by leah_s

I use SatinIce and I just went thru a bucket of Fondex. I like both. I made MMF once - blargh. Commercial fondant for me, please.

Thank you for saying it out loud.

My family has threatened to put me in jail for sugar overload!

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:04am
post #12 of 12

I use Crisco when I'm rolling out my fondant, but if it's too shiny I dust it with powdered sugar after it's on the cake (until the shine is gone), and then smooth it with my smoother.

Quote by @%username% on %date%