Sugar Shack's Bc

Decorating By southernswthrt Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 11:51pm by Sweet_Guys

southernswthrt Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:05am
post #1 of 14

I've been using Indydebi's BC, and everyone loves it but I have heard so much about SS BC that I really want to give it a try but have so many questions.

I've seen three different versions - 4.5 qt, 5 qt. and 6 qt recipes for KA mixers, but I have a 7 qt. Cuisinart. Will the recipe work with this mixer or does the paddle need to be completely submerged where I would have to increase the recipe even more?

I have the Wedding Bouquet flavoring and I would assume that the coffee creamer is just plain Coffee Mate. Is this correct? Has anyone tried flavored liquid coffee creamers?

I"m kind of bored with my BC, as far as flavors go, so I would appreciate any suggestions or flavor combos for icings. I've read that you can change the flavor of SS BC with different coffee creamers, etc, but I have no clue where to start or what combinations would be tasty.

I have Wedding Bouquet and Creme Bouquet (in addition to the basic vanilla, almond and butter). I was considering buying some Butavan...is it worth it?

As usual, TIA for all the tips and suggestions!

13 replies
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 14

I also use Indydebi's receipe. Haven't tried Sharon's yet, but to change up the flavors in mine in place of the milk I've used liquid coffee creamers like the International Coffee creamers. I love the white chocolate mocha creamer....yummy!!

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:20am
post #3 of 14

To prevent air bubbles the paddle needs to be submerged so you would have to adjust the recipe. I've used all sorts of coffee creamers in SS buttercream. My favorite is Italian Sweet cream but I only use the powedered creamers because I don't do enough cakes to buy the ones you keep in the fridge. I've used the liquid creamers in place of the water in my cake recipes and then in the BC as well but one thing that makes SS bc work is that the liquid is warm when you add it.

mbark Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:22am
post #4 of 14

I use Sharon's buttercream recipe exclusively & actually don't fill it so full, as mine kept spilling out, and I have not had any problems with bubbles, it whips really nice & smooth (just let it whip for a while). You use plain Coffee Mate, I have not tried flavored creamers but assume it would be good, but how many of those do they sell in powdered form? I also use my own mixture of vanilla, butter & almond, recently tried Creme Bouquet but it had too overwhelming of an orange flavor for my taste. I have added flavor to the buttercream (torani syrups work great) and it takes it well. Also, it smooths so beautifully using the viva paper towel method.

mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:25am
post #5 of 14

The receipe doesn't say to but I heat my milk or whatever liquid that I'm using when I make my buttercream. It does make it better.

NanaFixIt Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:25am
post #6 of 14

I use SS's recipe exclusively and I often vary the flavors with the creamers I use. I have used liquid creamer, but I still heat it in the microwave. I almost always use French Vanilla creamer for my 'standard' taste, but have used Vanilla Caramel, Chocolate Raspberry (careful - this is light brown), and others depending on the flavor of the cake.

You will need to adjust the recipe so that your paddle is completely submerged (this eliminates air bubbles in your icing, saving a lot of time in smoothing). If you PM Sharon, I'm sure she will help you adjust the recipe - she is quite helpful! Good luck!

southernswthrt Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:44am
post #7 of 14

exactly how much liquid goes into sugar shack's recipe? don't you put all the wet ingredients in first, or can you put a little at at time for the right consistency?

For those of you who use liquid creamers, do you cut it with water or milk, or put the entire amount of liquid as coffee creamer?

Thanks for the replies. I'm eager to give it a shot, and don't want to ruin 7 qts of icing!

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:29pm
post #8 of 14

In her recipe part of the liquid is flavorigns of choice (almond, butter, vanilla, cremem bouquet) and the rest of the liquid is made up of the hot coffee creamer. How much depends on the size of your mixer so you'd have to check the recipe for the amount of liquid. I usually put about 2/3 of the liquid into the mixer with the shortening, mix until smooth, add in powdered sugar and if its a bit too thick, I'll add in more liquid as I goicon_smile.gif

If you're using powdered coffee creamer it's 1 tbl hot water to 1 tbl coffee creamer. If I use liquid creamer I use it undiluted.

mbark: They have about 4-5 different powdered flavors at Walmart but I also have some of the seasonal ones like pumpkin spice. They have more flavors in liquid formicon_smile.gif

CakeCrystals Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 14

I use SS BC exclusively and just love to use hazelnut flavoring coffee creamer mixed with hot water. The taste is excellent. But I wanted to try the wedding bouquet flavoring but could not find it. Can someone tell me where I can get some?

deah Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 14

I've used both IndyDeb's and SS recipe. Both are wonderful recipes but my favorite right now is SS. I have a 5.5qt Cuisinart and the 5qt recipe is perfect for my mixer. If I had adjusted for that extra half quart it would have been too much for the bowl.

I've made the SS recipe with french vanilla creamer and caramel machiato (sp) creamer. The caramel machiato was amazing - I put it on chocolate cake and it was the perfect combo.

Correct me if I wrong but I think this would be the adjusted 7qt recipe

7 c shortening (Sweetex recommended)
7 lbs PS
16-17 T HOT liquid coffee creamer
4-1/2 T flavoring

mbark Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 14

cakecrystals, I have seen it online, globalsugarart & a couple other sites, just google it

southernswthrt Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:27pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks for all the great suggestions...

What flavorings (vanilla, almond, etc.) do you guys use when you use the flavored creamers? I would think that creme bouquet, etc wouldn't mix well with caramel machiato

The hazelnut coffee creamer sound yummy...what would you put with that - vanilla and almond?

Ivy383 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:57pm
post #13 of 14

I am in the state of Massachusetts and I don't think I have ever seen Sweetex shortening. Can it be ordered on line? icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:51pm
post #14 of 14

We don't use the bouquet flavoring she talks about...We've experimented with vanilla, orange, lemon, almond....We've melted down chocolate and added it in at the end for a chocolatey almost malted-milkshake type consistency....You can really substitute any of the flavorings you like....We use Sharon's methodology but we use our all butter ratios and WOW!!! Is it amazing!!!!

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%