stuttgartkim Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 10:53am
post #1 of

I don't use fondant, but so many people do that I'm hoping that you can answer my question. I used it once to make Calla lillies which didn't take good at all, so I don't dare use it to cover a cake. How do you make it taste.. well... better than dried paste? I want my cakes to be beautiful, but I also want them to taste good.

(by the way, I'm new. Hello from snowy Stuttgart Germany!)

- Kim

5 replies
m0use Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 1:34pm
post #2 of

One form of fondant that tastes good and looks like real fondant is marshmallow fondant.
Here's the link to the recipe: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-Marshmallow-Fondant.html
Hope this helps!

Carriemyvoice Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 1:34pm
post #3 of

Hello! And welcome. This is a great site that you have joined. Lots of friendly cake bakers/ decorators and very useful information.
As for your question, I use the flavorings that are in my buttercream recipe. I just knead them into the fondant and that helps with the flavor.
You could use just about any flavor you want. I like butter, almond and vanilla.
Hope this helps.

MrsMissey Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 2:05pm
post #4 of

Welcome "A Board"! LOL! Marshmallow Fondant has my vote...it can be flavored as well, although I don't think it needs any flavor added, tastes great on its own!

thecakemaker Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 3:40pm
post #5 of

Welcome! There's lots to be learned here and many wonderful people willing to share and help! Marshmallow fondant is good and i've used Satin Ice fondant which has a vanilla flavor which is good. You can also make candy clay and mix with fondant for a better taste or even rolled buttercream. I've tried it all! I wasn't happy with the results of mixing flavoring into the regular fondant. It didn't work well for me.

Good Luck!
Debbie

nashsmom Posted 24 Feb 2005 , 4:38am
post #6 of

I have a recipe for rolled buttercream I can share with you. The rolled buttercream is similar to fondant in texture, but tastes so much better. I can't post the recipe, but I can email to you. If you would like it pm your email address to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%