Tiered Cakes

Decorating By butterflyX Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 6:25am by mamawrobin

butterflyX Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 8

When making a tiered cake do you really need to use cake dowels? Also do the tiers need a cake board under each cake before being placed on top of each other. Never made a tiered cake before and not really sure whats the best way of puting one together.

Hope you can help icon_smile.gif

7 replies
catlharper Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, to both questions. Basically you dowel the bottom tier with at least 5 dowels depending on size, the bigger the bottom tier size the more dowels, then you set the next tier on a cake board and then when stacking just stack the cake board tier on top of the doweled tier. Repeat for the next level. If you are having to travel with the tiers then it's best to dowel before you deliver but stack at the final spot where the cake will be presented. I put all of my tiers on cake boards and for cakes that have a 10 inch or larger bottom tier I use SPS for stability. There is a sticky here by Leah S that explains the SPS system and how to use it.

HTH

Cat

DeeDelightful Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 8

You absolutely do need cake boards and dowels between each tier. I made the mistake of doweling a cake but didn't use boards. The cake leaned a little, luckily it didn't fall over. The weight of the tiers will settle more and more on those dowels if there is no board for support. If you have time, order Sugarshack's Stacking DVD. It's an excellent resource.

mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 8

I know some have already answered but YES to both questions. If not you're going to have serious problems and your cake will collapase. Trust what everyone has said. I will not work w/o supports and cake boards icon_wink.gif

Also I'd like to add that I NEVER use dowels. I use straws. Much easier to cut and sturdier really than dowels.

butterflyX Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks. I heard somewhere that some people use macdonalds straws. Do they really work?

mamawrobin Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:25am
post #8 of 8

Yes they work. The ones that I use actually look like the McDonald's straws. I order from thru a friend that owns a resturant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%