Mmf Doesn't Stretch!

Baking By FACSlady Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 6:35pm by ceshell

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 8

I made MMF from Rhonda's recipe and used it to make my alligator cake last week. I then covered the board with SI that I'd stored, unopened, for several months. It was soooooo much easier to work with the SI because it was so stretchy! I couldn't help but wonder how much easier the cake would have been to cover if I'd used the SI. How can I make my MMF stretchier?

7 replies
kellyanne1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyanne1981 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 8

i find that cornflour makes fondent more plyable if thats what you mean? sorry i cant be much help
xx

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:38am
post #3 of 8

I use Michele Foster's Fondant but I've read on other threads that some add glycerine to their MMF. Maybe that would help? I've never had good results with MMF and I've made it several times. I do however love Michele Foster's receipe. Can't beat it for taste and it's also a high quailty fondnat. For workability you can't beat it.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:02am
post #4 of 8

Ironically I find MFF TOO stretchy! It can be a challenge to work with, it stretches so much. But it's still my fondant of choice, for homemade.

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:19am
post #5 of 8

Have you tried mixing in a little gum paste to the MMF? It seems to work for me. Some time I just add tylose to the MMF and it seems to work too.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:58am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Ironically I find MFF TOO stretchy! It can be a challenge to work with, it stretches so much. But it's still my fondant of choice, for homemade.

Really? Which receipe do you use? The 2TBSP or 3TBSP. I find that it's always the perfect consistency for me.

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much for the advice!

I use the 2T Is the 3T better? Would it be ok to put a little gumpaste in it if I'm using it to cover cakes? Does glycerine make it more stretchy?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 8

I forget which recipe I use! Whichever is her "updated" version. I have read her posts on troubleshooting it and I THINK I may not be using enough PS...although I do always use the full amount and it's not particularly humid where I live. I get fearful of putting SO much in that it ends up crumbly. Although I have made it many times I think I am still just getting the hang of it. I like its performance in the fridge so I am sticking with it!!

Yes, you can put gumtex or tylose into it to firm it up for covering the cake. I would assume that means gumpaste itself, if it's already made, would be ok too? Might just be harder to work that stuff in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%