Graduation Gift For 18 Yr Old Stepson.

Lounge By Kiddiekakes Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 3:16pm by Joyfull4444

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 13

My stepson is graduating from Highschool this year and we want to get him a graduation gift.Any suggestions on what to get...We don't see him that often and hubby isn't that close with him but we feel we should get him something anyway.

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 13

kids his age are mostly into electronic stuff, new cellphones, music player(mp3 or 4) really nice stereo, computer or at the end i would give him a visa gift card since i hope he is going to college he might want to get new stuff to show off when he gets to class. I would go with that since you dont really know what he wants and than you dont want to spend a lot of money in something that he is not going to enjoy. Good luck.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 13

How about creating a college survival kit with stuff like cold medicine, Advil, Ramen noodles, a phone card, and a gift card for a grocery store? I know somewhere online there's a specific lists and instructions.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 13

if going to college -- offer to pay for the 1st semester's books (warning this could easily hit $300+)

if KNOW he has an iPod or iPhone or even an iPad -- iTunes store gift cards.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:07am
post #5 of 13

For my cousins who graduated after me (and I was close with) I did a "college basket" depending on how close I was with them here are some of the items I put in there, and this was after spending time in the dorms with my BF for a few years.

-Laundry Basket
-Detergent (or rolls of quarters if they aren't close enough to go home and have mom do the laundry - otherwise mom can use the detergent)
- Two sets of Bath towels
- George Forman Grill (haven't seen any colleges ban these yet and they offer more options than the microwave) or a microwave/mini fridge
- Canned Food
- Microwavable ramen noodles
- Gift card for a local grocery store or wal-mart (they always want food icon_smile.gif )

If not going to college, the same stuff can still be given b/c most likely they will be moving to an apt of their own. If not then maybe you can give us some ideas of what he is planning odoing.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:25am
post #6 of 13

Our (only) niece is graduating this year and headed off to college in the fall. I'm putting together a laundry gift basket. I'm going to get a good laundry basket and fill it. Going in are a laundry bag, detergent, bleach and plastic measuring cup, fabric softener/anti-static sheets, a bottle of Shout! gel, a small container of Oxyclean powder, a lingerie net bag, a folding drying rack for hang-dry clothes, and $100 in quarters that will be in a small locking box where she can store her money, credit cards and other valuables. If there's room after all that goes in, I might tuck in some other small items like bath soap, washcloth, towels, that sort of thing.

She'll be living in an on-campus apartment-type suite with a kitchen, but I still plan to send her monthy gift boxes of goodies, too.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:38am
post #7 of 13

If he will be going to college, a Barnes & Noble (or Borders) gift card might be nice. He can use it for books, music, and coffee/treats in the cafe.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:26am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

if going to college -- offer to pay for the 1st semester's books (warning this could easily hit $300+)

if KNOW he has an iPod or iPhone or even an iPad -- iTunes store gift cards.

Sometimes a semester's worth of books can cost upwards of $600, if the student is in a technical major. My computer science books (before I changed majors to English, lol) cost that or more per semester, and that was buying used.

As far as other gift ideas, I guess it depends on your budget. It seems he lives with his mother...is there any chance you can go in on a gift with her? Maybe pay for part of a new computer if he's going to college?

Either way, good luck!

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:22am
post #9 of 13

I guess it could depend on how much you guys are wanting to spend on him. I like the iPod/iPad idea or if he doesn't have a phone yet(what are the chances lol) you could get him a Droid. My husband (a techie by profession) has one and he does everything on it, email, reading books, texting, a ton of stuff.

or a laptop....
visa gift card would be my number one suggestion.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 13

If he drives maybe something for his car. Triple A membership is always good. Gas card, phone card(don't know if this is as important anymore with most everyone having cell phone plans)

Every 18 year old that i know would love cash.

Laptop if going off to school

It really depends on how much you want to spend and what the boy is in to. What he will be doing after school. If hes into sports perhaps something there. Depending on the type of sport.

OF course all this comes back to what you want/can spend.

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 13

I give all graduates a hardback copy of "The Giving Tree" along with a gift card or cash.

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 13

Ya know I don't know how he is but when I graduated I remember thinking that all I wanted was cash lol. HTH... again icon_smile.gif

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:16pm
post #13 of 13

Cash. Its more useful than a gift that may or may not get used.
We have 8 grandchildren, 2 of them being stepgrandchildren. Two have graduated with one more to graduate this year. The cash is always welcome as it can go towards future education, graduate grandchild #1, towards a savings account for a trip, graduate stepgrandchild #2, or towards helping to pay for needed car repairs, soon to graduate grandchild # 3.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%