I Need Your Input On A Hexagon Cake W/ Push-In Pillar Design

Decorating By RicheleMe2 Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 6:16pm by HamSquad

RicheleMe2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RicheleMe2 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 3

I need to make a wedding cake for May 01, 2010 and the cake happens to be a Hexagon shape, 4 layers on pillars. As we all know by now the Hexagon separator plates are no longer available through wiltom and I have yet to find another place that makes/sells them. So my I have come up with an idea and would value your input.

My cake sizes are the 15", 12", 9", and 6"

I was thinking of buying 12", 9" and 6" smooth round separator plates for each tier.

Cutting foam core boards in the hexagon shape at 13", 10" and 7".

Could I hot glue the foam core boards to the separator plates and put a ribbon along the edge of the foam core boards to hide the "sandwiching" of the foam core and separator plate?

I was also considering to hot glue the pillars to the separator plates so they don't move or shift. I will be using the 9" Bakers Best Disposable Pillars w/ Rings.

I am just feaking because it is mt first pillar constructed cake!

The only other option that I could come up with is to place a separator plate upside down on the top of each cake so it can lock into the separator plate on the next level. This would require each cake to be doweled (except the top). I also, do want a bright white separator plate taking from my cake design (scrollwork) so I would have to cover it with fondant and decorate it with the scrollwork as well to hide it.

Which option sounds icon_smile.gif best to you?

2 replies
bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 3

I have no answer for you, but I have the same situation coming up in June, so I'm hoping you get a response. Thanks for posting the question.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 3

Hi, I just saw your post. I just did a hexagon birthday cake 2 wks ago and had the same problem with finding a cake board to put it on. I opted to put a 10" hexagon cake on a 12" cake board I covered with Wilton fondant so I would not have to put a ribbon on the edge of the board.
What you are planning to do will work. I going to suggest using an inch or two smaller round or square separator plate to be hot glued to your foamcore board for each tier (unless the cake is a stacked construction) and just use push - in type pillars (7" or 9") that are designed for that brand of tier stand like "Wilton, or SPS or Coast". I hope I'm making sense. HTH
Hammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%