Can I Add Americolor Super Red To Make Red Velvet?

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm by prterrell

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 15

I have a customer who wants a red velvet cake but here in Canada there are no mixes available.Can I just add Americolor Super red to a chocolate mix to get red velvet.I use mixes so I don't want to make it from scratch.

Will the flavor get distorted with that much coloring?

Thanks

14 replies
Kima920 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 15

I use the Wilton brand no taste red and it is fine with no nasty taste. Also you can use regular red food coloring as well and get a nice red color.

Normita Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 15

I know you want to use a mix cake but I have made the red velvet from scratch from this site and it was super easy and very good. I recently started trying out scratch recipes and they have been coming out ok icon_smile.gif

To answer your questions....I have used americolor super red for both the red velvet and for my rainbow cake and it came out fine. You only need a little bit because americolors are so bright and work very well. I dont know if you can get the nice red color (have never tried) if you start off with your chocolate mix....might want to try it ahead of time with a little bit to see if comes out.

Can you start with a white mix perhaps?? This recipe is from the gourmet flavor thread here on CC.

Red Velvet Cake - MacsMom *If you don't have 100 mouths to feed, lol, just use 1 box white and measure out 1/2 of the chocolate cake mix, and obviously use half of all the other ingredients.
2 boxes white cake mix
1 box dark chocolate cake mix
2 pkg chocolate pudding
2 teaspoons salt
3 c flour
3 c sugar
3 c sour cream
3 cups vanilla coffee creamer
1 cup water
1/3 c oil
9 eggs
2 tablespoons butter flavoring
2 (1oz) jars Wilton red-red

MyDiwa Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 15

If you can find the Wilton no taste red, that's better because there's no funny after taste left on your cake.

aundron Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 15

Hey KiddieCakes!! If you guys don't have mixes, you should try Cake Man Raven's recipe for Red Velvet Cake; it's really good and just as easy to make as a box mix cake.

Only reason I say this is because red velvet isn't really chocolate cake with red dye added, it only has a hint of chocolate in it. (Hope I didn't offend) HTH icon_biggrin.gif

2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons red food coloring (1 ounce)
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil and flour 3 (9 by 1 1/2-inch round) cake pans.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In another large bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.

Using a standing mixer, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and a smooth batter is formed.

liztanner30 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 15

I've done it and it didn't seem to change the taste, but the Wilton no taste may be a better idea for you.

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks Everyone!! I appreciate the recipes..I have heard of Cakeman Raven's recipe and have heard great things about it but honestly..I don't scratch bake for my business..Too expensive!

MyDiwa Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 15

Try this, it's not scratch:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7461/easy-red-velvet

I've always had great feedback on this cake.

leily Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I have a customer who wants a red velvet cake but here in Canada there are no mixes available.Can I just add Americolor Super red to a chocolate mix to get red velvet.I use mixes so I don't want to make it from scratch.

Will the flavor get distorted with that much coloring?

Thanks

The only thing I wonder is if it will really taste like a red velvet cake. If you use a chocolate cake mix that is a much stronger chocolate flavor than a red velvet cake has. Might want to try the last recipe someone posted that starts with cake mixes.

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 15

Hmmm..I never thought of that..I thought red velvet was mostly chocolate tasting...I better check into it first.Thanks Leily!!

prterrell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:47am
post #11 of 15

Red Velvet cake is NOT just regular chocolate cake with red food coloring added! If you look at recipes for Red Velvet cake, you will see that they call for a 1/4 c or LESS of cocoa powder. A true Red Velvet cake is made with buttermilk and a touch of vinegar. It is the unique texture and slightly acidic taste that make a true Red Velvet cake.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:53am
post #12 of 15

Most red velvet cakes that use food coloring use the liquid...I would definitely NOT use the equal measure of Americolor as the recipe calls for for liquid....I would just squeeze in enough to make a nice deep red color rather than measure, if using Americolor. And maybe add a tad bit of extra liquid to make up for it as well?

Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:18pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks Prterrell, Red Velvet is not that well known or popular in Canada so I appreciate the history behind it icon_wink.gif ...I will research the recipes first before I decide what to make now that I know it is not made from a chocolate cake icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

leily Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:32pm
post #14 of 15

Kitagrl hit on another thing I forgot to mention. Most recipes call for 2oz or more of liquid red food coloring. I have done one of the following two things so there wasn't so much red coloring in the cake.

1) Use 1/4 of the coloring called for and replace the remaining 3/4 with just water
2) Measure up the full amount called for in water and then use americolor red to color the water.

These use A LOT less coloring and still give you the red color.

prterrell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm
post #15 of 15

Hey, don't feel embarassed. Even Rose Levy Berenbaum was once under the misapprehention that RV cake is just red-dyed cake. It's totally understandable why that might be the impression if you didn't grow up eating your grandmother's scratch RV cake. icon_wink.gif

I use one entire container of Wilton's no-taste red in my RV cake. It's the only thing is use Wilton brand coloring for. Oh, and it can be dyed other colors as well, although darker colors work best. The first wedding cake I ever made was for our friends whose colors were burgundy, forest green, and dark blue. The bride wanted RV cake but for the cake to be three layers per tier in the colors of her wedding. I subbed those colors in and it worked out great! It was a really neat surprise for all the guests when the cake was cut and it was burgundy sandwiched between dark green and dark blue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%