What Would You Say??? Help!!!

Business By jnikki Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 11:42pm by 7yyrt

jnikki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnikki Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 24

I Have a customer who wants to order the following

1. 1 Dozen Chocolate Strawberries

2. 1 Dozen Sugar Cookies

So the client asked me would I do a tasting. How can I politely tell her, you aren't ordering anything in large quantity, so I'm not doing a tasting??

23 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 24

I tell clients I only offer tastings on orders of 80 servings or more. Plus, what is there to taste? They don't know what a chocolate covered stawberry tastes like? Or a sugar cookie?

I think they are just looking for free food.

jnikki Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 24

Lol..thanks so much.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 24

I would tell the client, sure.....I charge $20 for a tasting with up to 4 servings.

You will receive a "tasting" of my cookies (4 small cookies provided)
and 2 strawberries cut in half.

All orders over $100, will have the tasting cost applied at the final payment!!

I used to have people wanting to try 3 different flavors of cake to order a 6" round.......now I just say........sure........and give them 4 mini cupcakes literally a "tasting" of each flavor!!!

If they want to try it that bad, they'll pay!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 24

You've gotta be kidding me! Has she had a strawberry before? That's what they taste like. I'd just tell them I don't do tastings for those things, good lord.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 24

In order to give you my opinion, I would need for you to send me a sample of the cookies and stawberries in question. icon_wink.gif lol!

Some people just don't live in the real world! icon_cry.gif

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 24

lol! I want a tasting of every item that every person has to offer on here! Go ahead and send me some of those strawberries to start me off with. Do they taste like strawberries with chocolate on them? How can I be sure of this, and how about those sugar cookies. Do they taste like cookies that are made with sugar? hmmmm, I don't kno-ow. Good Lord! I would tell her that you offer tastings or weddings or other large orders, as something like that is just flat goofy. (leave out the last part)

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 24

LOL! That's funny!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 24

"our tasting appointments are reserved for bridal orders or occasion cake orders of X amount. I'm sure that you will be satisfied with our abilities with both chocolate covered strawberries and sugar cookies."

CakeFaerieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeFaerieK Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 24

Oh, good grief!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 24

people never used to ask for "tastings" till they started showing all that stuff on tv....i don't do too many wedding cakes any more, but i didn't even let em taste that...they could buy a little cake.

i guess if i was getting a grand for a quarter sheet like duff...i'd hold a tasting for everything too.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 24

LOL jeez what are ppl thinking? Tell her she can pay for a tasting if she likes or she can take your word that cookies and strawberries will taste as they should!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #13 of 24

just quote her some rediculous price that's more than what her order will be! lol

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:05pm
post #14 of 24

Hopefully you don't have to deliver the order.....otherwise she might want to take a test drive with you and see your driver's license

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:14pm
post #15 of 24

Offer her a baker's dozen of each and tack on a very small extra charge. She can taste it when she picks up the entire paid order. thumbs_up.gif Maybe that's her deal....she's giving these away and wouldn't be able to sample them?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:17pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

Hopefully you don't have to deliver the order.....otherwise she might want to take a test drive with you and see your driver's license

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!...snort!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:28pm
post #17 of 24

lol hilarious! I agree with just telling her you only offer tastings on larger orders or bridal/ special occasion cakes.

Some of the comments remind me of my husband when we go out to eat. I don't like to try a lot of new things so I tend to order pretty much the same thing even if we go to a new restaurant, but he always has to "sample" what I get to see what it tastes like. He'll ask me first what it tastes like and I always say, "it tastes like ___ (chicken, burrito, etc)." It drives me nuts. Like chicken tenders are going to taste astoundingly different from place to place. LOL

I'm a smart-ass so I'd probably have to bite my tongue and not tell her that if she's tasted a strawberry then she should know what a chocolate covered strawberry tastes like. It's not like the chocolate magically transforms the strawberry into something else.
Thanks for the chuckle. icon_smile.gif

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm
post #18 of 24

This whole thread has had me thinking of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLVig4g_mZ8&feature=related

"The strawberries taste like strawberries, the snozzberries taste like snozzberries"

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:47pm
post #19 of 24

Why do people even ask questions like this. I do cake tastings for weddings and really big cakes. But things like strawberries and sugar cookies.. please. What planet is she living on that she thinks that will even fly. I make some pretty unique flavors so I think my wedding clients have the right to ask for a tasting but I charge them for the tasting and then if they book with me I just add it to the deposit. Just because we are in business doesn't mean that we have the money to go around giving everyone tastings for free let alone for things like strawberries..If you don't know what a strawberry with chocolate taste like then maybe you don't need to be ordering. LOL.

jnikki Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm
post #20 of 24

I have truly enjoyed reading the post from you all. I can't stop laughing. I am glad to know that you are on the same page as me. For a minute I thought I was losing it. Like, are other people really doing this

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:53pm
post #21 of 24

I would have laughed, because I would not have been able to hold it in.

Seriously, I had someone want to come for a tasting for an order of a 6" cake.

I laughed.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:37pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I literally LOL'd at that!

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:53pm
post #23 of 24

I think I'd tell her that after she pays for her 2 dozen items she can "taste" them all she wants. icon_lol.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 11:42pm
post #24 of 24

Figure out what it takes to make a batch so she can taste one, and charge her the entire price.

Say $xx for the chocolate, $y for a quart of strawberries, your normal recipe for sugar cookies costs $x for 4 dozen, $yy for your time and effort...

So one cookie and one strawberry is charged
xx + y + x + yy = your price for one of each.
After all, if she doesn't like them you're out all that $.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%