Gumpaste Tiara

Decorating By cc57 Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 10:17am by Bunsen

cc57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cc57 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:21am
post #1 of 10

Hello there,

does anyone have any tips on making a gumpaste tiara to top a little girls bithday cake?

Thanks

Chris

9 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 11:07am
post #2 of 10

Hi Chris, here is a great step by step from Sugarshack,

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/making-gumpaste-crown.html

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 11:19am
post #3 of 10

Hi

here's one I made in gumpaste.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1570553&sub=1599993

I used a large soup tin, covered in grease proof paper as a base to shape my tiara. I did draw the pattern I wanted on the paper but ended up making it up as I went along, it was easier.

-I started with the long piece of the tiara along the bottom, making sure it's straight so it'll stand up properly on your cake.

-Then rolled pieces of gumpaste and lay them in a symetrical pattern, dabbing glue where the pieces touched.

-Make sure you leave it to set properly, I was too quick to take it off and the glue hadn't dried properly.

Hope that was some help icon_smile.gif

Lyndsey xx

cc57 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 11:27am
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the help, keep your fingers crossed for me.. lol

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 11:42am
post #5 of 10

Here are the instructions I have for the ones I make:

Gumpaste Tiara

1.  I use all gumpaste (not colored) to make them that way I can paint them whatever color I want when I am done. When I do paint them, I use the amiericolor sheen paints, they give a nice sparkle to the finished tiara. Have the gumpaste ready, and make some gumglue (put a small piece of gumpaste in a container and add some water (1/4 t. of gumpaste to about 1 tablespoon of water) that is the gumglue.
2.  I use the Makins green T extruder to make the ropes but you can roll them by hand just use something like a fondant smoother to roll the rope back and forth to get it nice and the same thickness that works. The more pressure you use with the smoother on the rope, the skinnier it makes it.
3.  Get a small oatmeal canister (or a jar/can about that size 12around) Tape the template of the tiara on there, make sure the bottom edge of the pattern is close to the bottom of the canister. (I get the templates from that section of the gallery on CC) then tape a piece of wax paper on top of the template. I then lightly grease the wax paper with shortning that helps the gumpaste stick to the surface some.
4.  Knead your gumpaste till very smooth I knead in some shorting to help it come out of the extruder better. I also lightly grease the inside of the barrel of the extruder. Load the gumpaste and use which ever die you want for the parts of the tiara.
5.  Now, making the ropes, I look at the template, and I make each rope long enough that it can be cut in half so that each side has the exact length of rope that way both sides stay symmetrical. I just work in sections, do one side of the design, then the other. I also lay the oatmeal canister on its side kind of leaning on a folded up towel so that it helps keep the pieces where they are supposed to be.
6.  AT EACH intersection, I use the gumglue just a dot or two of it. It will meld with the gumpaste and help hold it all together when it is dry.
7.  When you have all the pieces made and set on the template, make one more rope only make it a lot thicker than the others. You want it as long as the whole bottom edge of the tiara lay it at the very bottom edge and put gumglue everywhere there is a piece of rope this is the bottom of the tiara. (look at my pics, you can see what I mean) This is why I want the template bottom near the bottom of the oatmeal canister so that bottom edge is at the bottom of the canister when it is setting upright.
8.  Now just let it dry. It will take a day or so. After it seems dry, gently remove the wax paper (with the template on it) from the canister I cut the tape, and lift the oatmeal canister out of the way then gently peel the wax paper off the back of the tiara, and let it dry again just setting there.
9.  Now it is ready to paint! Just paint it whatever color you want and let it dry and you are done.
LL

nadia0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadia0411 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 10

hi,
here is the link of my photo, my first gum paste tiara.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1584812

i found very clear instructions in one of the threads i search and its right on spot. i am sure you will be able to follow it quite easily. Loucinda posted v clear instructions.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6713453-.html#6713453

There are many patterns available on CC, i drew my own by drawing one half, folded the paper and drew other half.
HTH

cc57 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you all so much, I am sure mine wont look any were as good as that but I will llet you now. As for the extruder I dont have on, I may try to find one tomorrow. If not I iwll take you advice and use a fonadnt smoother..

Once again thank you all.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 10

If you can't find an extruder, just roll the gumpaste on a flat surface, and use a fondant smoother to roll it back and forth, it will make it more uniform than if you use the palm of your hand to do it. The more pressure you put on the smoother as you are rolling, the thinner it will roll the rope. (I hope that makes sense!)

nadia0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadia0411 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:23am
post #9 of 10

i didnt use extruder as i dont have one although i have cookies press but still rolling the gumpaste with fondant smoother is so easy and works well.
N

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:17am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Here are the instructions I have for the ones I make:

Gumpaste Tiara

1.  I use all gumpaste (not colored) to make them that way I can paint them whatever color I want when I am done. When I do paint them, I use the amiericolor sheen paints, they give a nice sparkle to the finished tiara. Have the gumpaste ready, and make some gumglue (put a small piece of gumpaste in a container and add some water (1/4 t. of gumpaste to about 1 tablespoon of water) that is the gumglue.
2.  I use the Makins green T extruder to make the ropes but you can roll them by hand just use something like a fondant smoother to roll the rope back and forth to get it nice and the same thickness that works. The more pressure you use with the smoother on the rope, the skinnier it makes it.
3.  Get a small oatmeal canister (or a jar/can about that size 12around) Tape the template of the tiara on there, make sure the bottom edge of the pattern is close to the bottom of the canister. (I get the templates from that section of the gallery on CC) then tape a piece of wax paper on top of the template. I then lightly grease the wax paper with shortning that helps the gumpaste stick to the surface some.
4.  Knead your gumpaste till very smooth I knead in some shorting to help it come out of the extruder better. I also lightly grease the inside of the barrel of the extruder. Load the gumpaste and use which ever die you want for the parts of the tiara.
5.  Now, making the ropes, I look at the template, and I make each rope long enough that it can be cut in half so that each side has the exact length of rope that way both sides stay symmetrical. I just work in sections, do one side of the design, then the other. I also lay the oatmeal canister on its side kind of leaning on a folded up towel so that it helps keep the pieces where they are supposed to be.
6.  AT EACH intersection, I use the gumglue just a dot or two of it. It will meld with the gumpaste and help hold it all together when it is dry.
7.  When you have all the pieces made and set on the template, make one more rope only make it a lot thicker than the others. You want it as long as the whole bottom edge of the tiara lay it at the very bottom edge and put gumglue everywhere there is a piece of rope this is the bottom of the tiara. (look at my pics, you can see what I mean) This is why I want the template bottom near the bottom of the oatmeal canister so that bottom edge is at the bottom of the canister when it is setting upright.
8.  Now just let it dry. It will take a day or so. After it seems dry, gently remove the wax paper (with the template on it) from the canister I cut the tape, and lift the oatmeal canister out of the way then gently peel the wax paper off the back of the tiara, and let it dry again just setting there.
9.  Now it is ready to paint! Just paint it whatever color you want and let it dry and you are done.

Exactly the same method I used!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%