A Buttercream That Not To Sweet

Baking By pastrygirl08 Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 3:17am by DetailsByDawn

pastrygirl08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirl08 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:22am
post #1 of 9

I am making a cake with fondont accents, but am looking for a buttercream that is not so sweet, they always oder cakes with whipped frosting, but the cake they wanted has fondont accents and i told them that fondont doesnt stick on whipped cream, I made this buttercream frosting recipe that someone one gave me it taste likw butter, i didnt like that so anyone knows any buttercream frosting that not sweet

8 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:30am
post #2 of 9

I understand that Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC) is less sweet tasting. I'm going to give it a try, as my husband doesn't like it too sweet either. There's a few in the recipes section. I have also made a white chocolate cream cheese icing that is fantastic and doens't taste too sweet either! PM me if you're interested in that one.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:33am
post #3 of 9

True buttercreams taste like whipped sweet butter. Criscocream unfortunately has ruined many American palettes for true buttercream.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:54am
post #4 of 9

I use SMBC when I want a less sweet buttercream. That stuff is awesome. I can eat it straight out of the bowl. I usually add about 3/4 cup of melted white chocolate to mine and some raspberry puree....pure heaven icon_biggrin.gif

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:56am
post #5 of 9

If you liked the consistency of the BC recipe you used, but just thought it was too sweet, try adding about a 1/2 tsp of lemon juice next time. Cream it in BEFORE you add any sugar. It will cut down on the "sweet factor".

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:04am
post #6 of 9

Adding 1/4 t. popcorn salt, dissolved in the liquid in your recipe, cuts down on the sweetness. My recipe includes 4 lbs. confectioner's sugar and 1/4 t. popcorn salt so use 1/8 t. if your recipe only uses 2 lbs. of confectioner's sugar. The lemon sounds like a good idea, too- maybe sub lemon extract for part of the vanilla in the recipe.

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #7 of 9

I use a whole teaspoon of popcorn salt for every 2-lb bag pf powdered sugar.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:15am
post #8 of 9

Just so y'all know popcorn salt is the SAME thing as pickling salt, they just put it in a smaller container and charge more for it. You can find boxes of pickling salt near the other spices and cans of table salt and boxes of kosher and rock salt. Salt lasts forever, too, so you don't have to worry about it going bad. And if you have the popcorn salt container on hand, you can just refill it with the pickling salt.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:17am
post #9 of 9

When someone asks for a "not-too-sweet" American Buttercream, I use a recipe from CC called Doctored Buttercream Dream - in addition to the recipe, add 1tsp lemon juice (not extract) for a smooth flavour. It goes over really well for me. You probably won't like SMBC or IMBC, since you don't like the buttery taste, but they are real buttercreams and usually go over well with people who prefer a whipped cream frosting. Lastly, though a cream cheese frosting might give you the less-sweet flavour that you're looking for - cream cheese usually does not like fondant. Depending on the recipe, it may cause your fondant to wilt and sweat and sometimes just outright dissolve! Hope this helps!! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%