See Through Fondant

Decorating By theonlynameleft Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 12:43pm by Mug-a-Bug

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:54am
post #1 of 10

Can you please help me? I am a novice cake decorator and found that with my last cake (which was the first one I had done with white fondant) that when applied to the cake I could still see the cake underneath ie; the layers etc. It was chocolate mud cake with buttercream filling, I smoothed buttercream all over and then put fondant over top but found that when I put enough buttercream icing on so that the cake itself wasn't visible then it was too much buttercream and I then found it hard to get the fondant smooth over the top. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks icon_smile.gif

9 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:18am
post #2 of 10

Sounds like you may be rolling your fondant too thin. Do you have a rolling pin with the guides? That really helps get it the right thickness.......if you can get used to using it. I personally use a regular pin, but the guides do help.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:52am
post #3 of 10

You're rolling your fondant too thin. Try rolling it a little thicker next time and see if this doesn't help.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:54am
post #4 of 10

You might try using a white chocolate ganache (3parts white choc, the real stuff not candy melts or morsels to 1 part cream) it firms up nice and hard and is a great base for fondant.

Faffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faffy Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:55am
post #5 of 10

Sorry to budge but what is the right thickness for fondant???

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:05am
post #6 of 10

Here's a thread you might find helpful:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-673052-.html

HTH

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:07am
post #7 of 10

Hummmm... well I don't measure mine anymore, just kinda have a feel for it... but somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 an inch.

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:51am
post #8 of 10

Thanks so much for all the helpful tips - I have to admit it sounds like one of my major errors may have been being so impatient that I haven't really given the buttercream layer enough time to harden before applying fondant. I am always so excited about the next step and the finished product that I tend to rush things, ha ha!!! icon_wink.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 11:56am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlynameleft

Thanks so much for all the helpful tips - I have to admit it sounds like one of my major errors may have been being so impatient that I haven't really given the buttercream layer enough time to harden before applying fondant. I am always so excited about the next step and the finished product that I tend to rush things, ha ha!!! icon_wink.gif

lol no need to apologize.. we have all been there... but the best thing is to let that crumb coat set well and if u want to make your bc layer thicker... ice the cake and fridge it... at least 4 hours so it is nice and hard.... fondant... the thinner it is... the better it tastes.... people dont want to chew a thick piece of fondant...so aim for thin... almost 1/16/th.. with a good foundation (cake contruction) u can make it as thin as u want...

Good Luck and keep cakin! icon_smile.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 10

Smooth your buttercream very well then pop in the fridge for a few minutes to firm it up. Roll your fondant a little thicker. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%