How Do I Add Pudding To Scratch Recipe?

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 4:24am by JanH

lrlt2000 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 7

I have never made a scratch recipe before, but I am trying a no-dye red velvet. I am concerned about it not being very moist, so I was wondering if I could add just plain vanilla ready-made pudding to the scratch recipe to make it more moist.

Anyone know how I would alter the scratch recipe to do this? Would I add a certain amount more of cake flour, or would I have to change everything!?? Would I add it to the liquid measurement and decrease whatever the liquid is?

Any comments appreciated! I will be using one of these two recipes (not sure which yet--I may experiment with both this week for the 4/25 cake):

6 replies
prterrell Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #2 of 7

As an experienced scratch baker I can tell you there is no reason to add pudding mix to a scratch recipe. A properly balanced, properly constructed scratch recipe will be moist without it. (Plus I tried it once and it was nasty, it made the cake gummy, not moist.)

JanH Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:25am
post #3 of 7
Originally Posted by prterrell

(Plus I tried it once and it was nasty, it made the cake gummy, not moist.)

I've come to realize that some members feel "gummy" = moist and dense. So a cake that bakes up like a fudge brownie is the goal.

Placet cuique suum. icon_smile.gif
(To each his own is pleasing.)

Pudding as ingredient in scratch recipes:

prterrell Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:29am
post #4 of 7

Huh. Now I don't associate "gummy" with fudge brownie, either, though. Not a good one, anyway icon_wink.gif

I'm trying to think of something else that has the texture I accidentally created, but I'm having a hard time coming up with something as gummy is something I generally avoid. Well, outside of bubble gum, anyway. icon_lol.gif

JanH Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:35am
post #5 of 7

Perhaps "gooey" like some fudge brownies....

(Not for me, although my DH loves them.)

prterrell Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:22am
post #6 of 7

I guess it was kind of like what I imagine eating foam cushions would be like. That's the closest I can think of.

JanH Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:24am
post #7 of 7

Ugh! Dry and spongy. icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%