Hi, New Here And Just Made My First Cake

Decorating By VanessaT Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 4:56pm by VanessaT

VanessaT Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 17

Hi, I am new to the forum. Didn't see another place to introduce myself so hope this is the right spot. I'm Vanessa and live in Texas with my husband and right now we have two foster kids. Our foster daughter just turned one and I made her cake! After the local bakery quoted me an outrageous price for a two tiered 6 and 9 inch cake I decided to make her cake. Well, now I think I have a new passion! LOL I've never done cake baking/decorating before so I was pretty happy how it turned out. I did make a few test cakes the week before the party. I can't wait to look around the site and I'm sure I'll find all sorts of ideas! =) Anyway, here is a picture of the cake I made....
LL

16 replies
prterrell Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 17

Wow! great job on your first cake! That is very impressive! Although, now that you've done all the work, you can probably see WHY cakes aren't cheap, it's the skill, artistry, and time that you're paying for! icon_biggrin.gif

Just so you know, for future posts, non-cake related stuff goes in the "Lounge".

Welcome to the wonderful and addicting world of caking! There is a LOT of great information to be gleaned by reading these forums.

VanessaT Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks! Oh, yes, I know why they're expensive.....but the cake I was trying to order was even simpler than the one I made! LOL Now that I've done one and it was so much fun (except for a few frustrating moments) I will probably be making all our cakes. =) I definitely won't be paying $250 for a cake! Well, until her wedding anyway. =)

frankdiabetes Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaT

Well, until her wedding anyway. =)

By that time you'll be so skilled at cakes you'll be able to make a fabulous wedding cake for her icon_smile.gif.

mamawrobin Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 17

Welcome to cc and great job on the cake. Love the pink polka dots icon_smile.gif

pearlydi Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 17

Wow! Your cake looks beautiful! You have a talent!!!! Welcome to CC!!

Adevag Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 17

Your cake is beautiful. Welcome! I'm looking forward to many more photos, I'm sure I'll be saving them in my favorites thumbs_up.gif

JudyDP Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 17

Your cake is beautfiul! I know you are so proud. Happy baking!!!

VanessaT Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 17

Thank you so much everybody! =)

JulieMN Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:39am
post #10 of 17

Welcome to CC and great job on your first (of many to come) cake!

Sweet_Guys Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:53am
post #11 of 17

Welcome to CC. You did a very nice job with this first cake!

Paul

anasazi17 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #12 of 17

Welcome, Welcome!! Great Job!!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:16am
post #13 of 17

Very nice! You def. have talent!

Tracy7953 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:16am
post #14 of 17

Yes, welcome. Your cake looks great and looks like you have been caking a long time!

Sassy74 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:23am
post #15 of 17

That's AWESOME! Can't believe it's your first cake! And yes, welcome welcome welcome!

Uniqueask Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:39am
post #16 of 17

Welcome to CC you did a fabulous Job, on your first cake, This site is very addicting, and you will learn a lot here. in my signature there is a link to free tutorials also there are a couple of great sugar artist on here that sells dvd's that teaches cake decorating, and they are worth every penny, one is Sharon Zambito,and her user name on here is sugarshack, and her website is www.sugaredproductions.com
the other is Jennifer Dontz, and her username is JenniferMI on here, her site is www.sugardelites.com
and the other is Edna De La cruz, Tonedna on here, and her site is www.designmeacake.com and she sells gumpaste flowers dvd's.

you can check them out, I have all of their dvd's and have learned so much from them. And again Welcome. and did I say your cake is amazing.

VanessaT Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:56pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%