Starting In Kentucky

Business By missyt_00 Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 2:09pm by racechick311x

missyt_00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyt_00 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 8

Hello cake decorators!!

I have recently started decorating cakes and decided that I actually like doing it!! I am starting to get more request and so I would love to eventually start my own buisness. I made the first step and contacted the Kentucky Dept. of Health. Unfortunately, this is where it all stopped!

I was told that if I advertised to sell any cakes (even 1 a month!) then I was subjected to the health dept. coming to inspect. I was informed that I had to have a whole seperate kitchen from my home that included 3 basin sink, mop sink, drain, stove, fridge, and anything else I may use.

I was a little disappointed since that would cost more than I could possibly make in cakes since I am just starting out.

Any advice!?

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 8

Well, you already got the advice you needed. Actually if you *sell* any cakes at all, the HD will come see you.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 8

I'm also in KY, and got the same info. So, I only make cakes for friends and family, and give them away. An expensive hobby, but at least I still get to make cakes. Everyone in my family knows what the birthday gift will be!

missyt_00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyt_00 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 8

That's helpful! At least I know it wasn't just the reply they gave me! Thank you!

jomc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jomc Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:00am
post #5 of 8

I AM ALSO FROM KY. YOU CAN RENT A COMMERCIAL KITCHEN THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN THROUGH ALL THE INSPECTIONS, ETC... NOT MANY AROUND. I WAS ONLY ABLE TO FIND ONE AND THANKFULLY IT IS ONLY 20 MILES FROM HOME. WHAT AREA ARE THE REST OF THE KENTUCKIANS FROM?

racechick311x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
racechick311x Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:41am
post #6 of 8

I am wanting to get more into cakes and am in western ky, is there a set of guidelines anywhere online or that I can get from the health dept. that clearly tells you all of the requirements? I have the separate kitchen, but I want a complete list to see if there is even a chance it could work for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:44am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes by Jamie

I am wanting to get more into cakes and am in western ky, is there a set of guidelines anywhere online or that I can get from the health dept. that clearly tells you all of the requirements? I have the separate kitchen, but I want a complete list to see if there is even a chance it could work for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Scroll down to the Kentucky Food Code section in the following link:
http://chfs.ky.gov/dph/info/phps/food.htm

The Inspection Form link in particular will tell you exactly what you need to pass a health inspection.

racechick311x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
racechick311x Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%