Starting In Kentucky

Business By missyt_00 Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 2:09pm by racechick311x

missyt_00 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 8

Hello cake decorators!!

I have recently started decorating cakes and decided that I actually like doing it!! I am starting to get more request and so I would love to eventually start my own buisness. I made the first step and contacted the Kentucky Dept. of Health. Unfortunately, this is where it all stopped!

I was told that if I advertised to sell any cakes (even 1 a month!) then I was subjected to the health dept. coming to inspect. I was informed that I had to have a whole seperate kitchen from my home that included 3 basin sink, mop sink, drain, stove, fridge, and anything else I may use.

I was a little disappointed since that would cost more than I could possibly make in cakes since I am just starting out.

Any advice!?

7 replies
leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 8

Well, you already got the advice you needed. Actually if you *sell* any cakes at all, the HD will come see you.

poohsmomma Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 8

I'm also in KY, and got the same info. So, I only make cakes for friends and family, and give them away. An expensive hobby, but at least I still get to make cakes. Everyone in my family knows what the birthday gift will be!

missyt_00 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 8

That's helpful! At least I know it wasn't just the reply they gave me! Thank you!

jomc Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:00am
post #5 of 8

I AM ALSO FROM KY. YOU CAN RENT A COMMERCIAL KITCHEN THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN THROUGH ALL THE INSPECTIONS, ETC... NOT MANY AROUND. I WAS ONLY ABLE TO FIND ONE AND THANKFULLY IT IS ONLY 20 MILES FROM HOME. WHAT AREA ARE THE REST OF THE KENTUCKIANS FROM?

racechick311x Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:41am
post #6 of 8

I am wanting to get more into cakes and am in western ky, is there a set of guidelines anywhere online or that I can get from the health dept. that clearly tells you all of the requirements? I have the separate kitchen, but I want a complete list to see if there is even a chance it could work for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

jason_kraft Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:44am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes by Jamie

I am wanting to get more into cakes and am in western ky, is there a set of guidelines anywhere online or that I can get from the health dept. that clearly tells you all of the requirements? I have the separate kitchen, but I want a complete list to see if there is even a chance it could work for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Scroll down to the Kentucky Food Code section in the following link:
http://chfs.ky.gov/dph/info/phps/food.htm

The Inspection Form link in particular will tell you exactly what you need to pass a health inspection.

racechick311x Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%