I'm Freaking Myself Out! :/ Having A Baby...

Lounge By JaeRodriguez Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm by JaeRodriguez

JaeRodriguez Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 42

This is my second time around, I just had a baby a year ago, they let me go into labor naturally that time but this time my doctor asked me if she could break my water this Wednesday! I don't know why but I'm WAY more nervous about this time then last time! The reason we've decided to go ahead and break my water this time is because I have Group B Strep and they want to make sure I get all of the antibiotics before the baby gets here, as second labors can go much faster then the first one. That's one of the things I'm scared of honestly, that I will go so fast I wont be able to get an epidural! My doctor told me two weeks ago she had a patient who went into labor and her hubby had to pull over on the way to the HP and DELIVER the baby- that's how fast it went! icon_surprised.gif Way to freak me out even more doc! icon_razz.gif So I guess if you have any encouragement, or stories about labor I'd love to hear them! Thanks Ladies!

41 replies
mamawrobin Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 42

You'd have to pm me. I have seven children (yes 7) all were natural except for the first one (twilight sleep...they do not give that anymore and my last one...epidural) YooHoo for the epidural! With my last one the doctor broke my water and induced labor. The other six I went into labor on my own.

Good luck to you!!

JaeRodriguez Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 42

ahhh mamawrobin, my grandma had six babies naturally so when I mentioned being terrified of having to do it without the epidural she laughed at me! I am a big wimp when it comes to pain! I think one of the reasons I am so nervous is because I have to have my gall bladder taken out after I have him and I've never had any surgery before so I'm scared about that too! My MIL tells me that everytime she went into labor she thought to herself "wow, I forgot how much this hurts!" THANKS for the encouragement! How far apart did you have your kids?

mamawrobin Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 42

You'll do just fine. Sorry to hear that you have to have surgery after having the baby. My first two (32 & 30) were born 17 months apart. Their dad was killed in a car accident and I remarried and had another son (24) five years after later and a daughter (20) three years after he was born. We decided to have another baby (1icon_cool.gif 18 months after she was born. The last two boys (17 and 15) were not planned and were 15 months apart. Yes I was on birth control when I got pregnat with the last two boys. I am apparently very firtle and apparently my b.c. pills were not the correct strength. I had my tubes tied after the last one icon_biggrin.gif

With my last one the doctor broke my water and induced labor. I was in labor for 6 hours with him but did have an epidural so it wasn't that bad...really icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 42

Two things - first I had emergency surgery 5 days after my twins were born to have my gallbladder removed. Just to prepare you (I'm not trying to freak you out even more!), I had both boys vaginally and it hurt way less than after the gallbladder surgery.

I think part of it was I was really unprepared for the surgery and still trying to recover from giving birth. I didn't realize that they were going in thru my belly button for one. And ask a nurse to help you sit up in bed and walk back and forth to the bathroom.

Second, when my daughter was born it did go much faster than the boys. I did have time for the epidural but it didn't work. But, labor actually went much faster.

Good luck!!

mamawrobin Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 42

Labor does seem to go faster after the first. I was in labor with my first son for 6 hours. My second son was born within 30 minutes after arriving at the hospital. My other labors were around 6 hours each though.

peg818 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 42

Well, i had two babies, 18 months apart, both were natural. The second baby, i was in labor for about 7hours start to finish. We live about 15 minutes from the hospital, so hubby and i were taking our time getting there, Walked in at 8am baby was hear by 8:15. Both times the dr had to brake my water.

Just want to say that having a baby naturally really isn't that bad.

paulstonia Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 42

I have three. The first two are 15 months apart. Had the first in 4 hours after arriving at the hospital. My daughter, the second was only two. My last one was 4 years later. When I went in for my first dr. appointment after my due date I had an ultra sound and the docs says there wasn't enough amniotic fluid and he was going to induce my labor. My first was 8 lb. 1 oz. second was 7 lb. 11 oz. The last was 9 lb. 10 oz. He was the hardest to deliver, not because he was so big but the induced labor.I was in labor all day. They kept having to give me more medication. That I wouldn't volunteer for again, but sometimes there is no other choice. After delivery I was trembling from head to toe, so badly I had trouble walking to the bathroom, had to be the medication, never happened with the others. But that was 18 years ago, odds are they are using something different to induce now. And the labor and delivery wasn't awful, it was the affect of the medication. I had no pain medication with any of them but if they are inducing I can't amagine they won't have time to give you an epidural. Sorry to hear you have to have surgery after delivery. I get what you mean about being afraid. I've never had sugery either and it would scare me.

prterrell Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 42

My sister had her water broken at the hospital by the doctor with her first baby because of her blood pressure. It still took a long time because it was her first. She didn't have any meds w/ her 2nd baby because they waited until too late to go to the hospital. My dad drove and my sis and her (then) hubby were in the back seat. I think my dad said he drove over a hundred MPH the whole way! They rushed her in and she delivered in the ER. The baby crowned just as they got her settled in a bed. She didn't even get the IV in until after she delivered! Her 3rd and 4th babies were both c-sections as my sis is petit and her BF/baby daddy is really huge and their babies are too big for her to deliver naturally.

No matter what happens, it will be okay! You will have a beautiful baby in your arms. Congratulations!

KathysCC Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:12pm
post #10 of 42

I think you always have fears no matter how you are going to have the baby. That's just natural.

I had 4, all with no epidural or drugs. You forget everything as soon as that baby is in your arms. So if you go that way, don't worry. You'll do fine.

Try not to worry...what happens will happen no matter how much you worry. icon_smile.gif Try to think about happy thoughts and about holding that precious little one once it gets here and don't let the worries overtake you. Smile!!! icon_biggrin.gif and CONGRATULATIONS!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Adevag Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 10:02pm
post #11 of 42

Congratulations! I think I was more nervous thinking about the labor during the pregnancies but when it actually started I forgot the fears and I was just in the moment. I have three, all 1 1/2 years apart and I had them all without any drugs. My first was at a hospital, my second at a birthing center with midwives and my third was born at home. For me I had a much better experience with the midwives because they allowed me to be in charge and follow my body's needs. And I need to move and walk around during contractions. With my first, I was forced to lay down in a hospital bed and deal with all these cramps and that was painful (which is why I switched). But then again, after I had my baby all I could do was to look at my beautiful baby and nothing else mattered!
Best of wishes with both baby and surgery!

JaeRodriguez Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:17pm
post #12 of 42

wow mamawrobin, that's a lot of babies! :] I can't imagine!

cakesbycathy- do you think it would be a good idea to try and wait to have my surgery after I've recovered from giving birth? I had a really bad gall bladder attack at the beginning of this pregnancy that led to pancreatitis and I'm scared for that to happen again but I really don't want to have the surgery that soon after I give birth!

paulstonia- I do know my doctor said she wouldn't give me pitocin to start out with, which can make labor stall or hurt worse... that's a relief! But a different doctor in the practice delivered me last time and even though I came in at 4cm and she broke my water she immediately gave me the meds too, which made me shakey as well. I am hoping that they will wait and see if I will progress without the meds before they give them to me!

prterrell- AGH! I can't imagine being that close to giving birth right as you get to the HP! :] I guess the good thing is it is over fast, but sheesh! haha

KathysCC- I know that with my first I was the same as you, I was thinking "well, it wasn't that bad" after I got to hold my baby for the first time! Thank you for your encouragement!

Adevag-I remember with my first one they made me lay in bed too and when they let me sit up for the epidural just being able to sit up made it 100% easier, I was wondering if they would let me sit up this one but the way you're talking they probably wont!

Thank you everyone for your stories and encouragement! Everytime I tell DH that I'm freaking out nervous he just looks at me like "why you've done it before"... EASY FOR YOU TO SAY BUDDY! ;] hehe I knew my CC ladies would understand!

cakesbycathy Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 42

If it's possible for you to put it off for a while I would. My sister's gallbladder also went bad during her pregnancy but she was able to hold off on surgery until 4 or 5 months later and that seemed to be better. Mine was in such bad shape that I didn't have any choice.

BarbRaz Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:58pm
post #14 of 42

Both of my boys were born naturally (two years apart), but I was induced with both. They induced me with the first one because I was two weeks overdue. I was in labor for 5 hours and he ended up weighing 11 lbs. 9 oz. (yes, I had him naturally, but had a hard time walking for about two weeks because of the episiotomy). With my second son, they induced me 3 weeks early because my first was so big, he was still 8 lbs. 5 oz. and I had him in an hour and a half. I agree with an earlier post, I was worried about the pain during my pregnancy, but once I started to deliver, I was concentrating so hard I wasn't thinking about the pain (no epidural either). Just keep thinking about that beautiful baby that will be here soon! Good luck!!

JulieMN Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:57am
post #15 of 42

No stories to share....just best wishes for you and your family!

JaeRodriguez Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:18am
post #16 of 42

BarbRaz- WOAH NELLY! :]] You are better then I am, I don't think I could have done it! My first was 7lb 14oz, and that was big enough! :]

JulieMN- Thank you :]]

Y'all are so sweet with your encouragement! I am getting more and more nervous the closer I get, but it's a mix of nervous and excitement! And I'm sad that my son wont be my baby anymore! :[ It was my last night with him before the baby is here, he's staying at my dad's tomorrow night since we have to be at the HP at 6 on Wednesday. It surprised me how emotional I got tonight putting him to bed, it's weird to think he's about to be a big brother! :]

Rachie204 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:23am
post #17 of 42

I have two children...6 years and 15 months.

I had my son when I was 16, my contractions started around 6:00pm and began at one minute apart. I was 8cm when I got to the hospital and though I got the epidural it didn't have time to take....I delivered my 9lb 8.4 oz baby at 11:07pm.

With my daughter we induced labor...I think my doctor broke my water around 7:45am at 10:00am I was 5cm and asking for an epidural which never came because I was complete at 10:30am...Delivered at 11:18am (took the doctor forever to get there!!!!)

I think giving birth was honestly my favorite things about having a baby....yeah it was painful but so very rewarding. I tell hubby if we could have more babies and keep them little we would.

Im sorry to hear about your GB...Pregnancy tends to irritate the GB...I have suffered since right after giving birth to my son and I have yet to have mine taken care of.

I will pray that you get your epidural...but going natural really isn't as horrible as what you see on tv. If things are moving quickly it is do-able. Being afraid or anxious about labor or surgery is completely natural.

Please don't forget to update us when your sweet darling arrives!!!!!

Oh also....I was strep b positive as well and I think your doctor is doing the right thing ...they really like to get two doses of antibiotics in before the baby is delivered.

JaeRodriguez Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:03am
post #18 of 42

I can't believe you've gone that long without having your gall bladder out! The time I got pancreatitis from an attack was enough to push me over the edge of not wanting to wait to have emergency surgery because of an attack, but I'm still scared of surgery! Thank you for saying a prayer for me, I know that if I had to I could do it without an epidural but if I have time to have a choice- epidurallllll :] hehe. I am happy that they decided to induce too because I want to make sure all the antibiotics get in me before he gets here, I don't want to have to deal with him getting sick because I had him to fast!

Rachie204 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #19 of 42

Yeah....i know I should have had mine out by now. The first attack was horrible, and I had quite a few HORRIBLE episodes after the birth of each baby...but it ends up not being much of an issue a year or so later. We arn't planning to have any more babies, so maybe I can get away without dealing with it. I don't mind having the surgery near as much as I mind all the co-pays and deductibles that I know we will end up paying. When are you due if you don't mind me asking.....

JaeRodriguez Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:16am
post #20 of 42

I'm due May 1st but I'm actually up to go into the hospital today! :] So hopefully in a few hours I will have my baby in my arms! YAY!

Rachie204 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:32pm
post #21 of 42

AHHH WOW! It's 11:30am on the 21st here. Not sure where you are located .... you may already be in labor by now. I will be praying for you!!!!! Best wishes sweetie. Please update us when you are back home....

mcaulir Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #22 of 42

Now the OP is probably gone, I'll share! icon_smile.gif I'm completely confused by people who say, 'It's not that bad' or 'You forget it all straight away'. I was in labour 38 hours and it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced, and it's completely burned into my memory. I will never forget how awful it was, and if I could adopt the next ones easily at age 4, I think I would. Loved being pregnant. Really, really hated giving birth.

Rachie204 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:22am
post #23 of 42

mcaulir~ Wow I can't imagine being in labor for 38 hours!!! Both of my labors were under 5hours which made going natural manageable...I think I would have begged for a c-section after that long.

JaeRodriguez Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:00am
post #24 of 42

Rachie, I'm in SC and I actually had him at 11:58 this morning! Thank you for praying for us!

Labor was a piece of cake! I literally had maybe 4 contractions that were a little painful, got my epidural, kinda pushed twice and he was here! I was like "I feel like I can't be done yet, that was wayy to easy!" It was great!!

Mcaulir- I'm not trying to rub it in, I mean I was terrified because of how hard my first labor was. I told my hubby if I could have labor like that every time that I'd have six kids! I can't imagine being in labor for 36 hours! I thought that usually they don't let you labor that long now adays? I for SURE would have been begging for a c section! Did you do it without pain meds?

Mrs-A Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:22am
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

.... Labor was a piece of cake! I literally had maybe 4 contractions that were a little painful, got my epidural, .......

im sorry but that made me burst out laughing icon_lol.gif

congrats on the wonderful news - job well done mum!

mcaulir Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:27am
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

Mcaulir- I'm not trying to rub it in, I mean I was terrified because of how hard my first labor was. I told my hubby if I could have labor like that every time that I'd have six kids! I can't imagine being in labor for 36 hours! I thought that usually they don't let you labor that long now adays? I for SURE would have been begging for a c section! Did you do it without pain meds?

Very glad it went so well for you - congratulations!!

Yes, no pain meds except gas. I (stupidly) kind of thought it mustn't be that bad because they weren't offering me anything stronger. I know for next time to ask for drugs, drugs and more drugs! It was in a small rural hospital, so a transfer would have been necessary for a c-section. I have a new plan for next time!

JaeRodriguez Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:41am
post #27 of 42

Haha- Mrs-A I laughed after I typed it! And then I thought "hmm, I wonder if there is cake on the hospital menu because that sounds YUMMY!" icon_razz.gif Thank you, btw!

mcaulir- WOW! I made sure they knew before they broke my water that I wanted any medicine they could give me! ;] I'm such a baby when it comes to pain lol

FullMoonRanch Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:15pm
post #28 of 42

Congratulations on your new son!!

KathysCC Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:33pm
post #29 of 42

See, didn't we tell you everything would be okay! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm so HAPPY that things went well for you!! Congratulations on your new baby! What a joy! icon_biggrin.gif

Rachie204 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 8:09pm
post #30 of 42

YAY!!!!!!!!!! I was praying all morning yesterday that you would have virtually no pain! That is awesome! Congrats on your beautiful baby boy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%