Cake Jacks

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 2:02am by HamSquad

cathyscakes Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 12

I was just wondering if anyone uses cake jacks for doweling. do you like them, thanks

11 replies
cathyscakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 12

I guess no one uses them. That answers my question

ChRiStY_71 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 12

Sorry...but I don't know what a cake jack is! icon_redface.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 12

Never heard of them

Uniqueask Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

Never heard of them

me neither.

PattyT Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 12

Ditto - I had to go look them up...

HamSquad Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 12

I use cake jacks for most of my tiered cake projects. I love them. I do not have to saw or cut any wooden or plastic dowels or straws. If my cake height ranges from 3" to 4" inches, I purchase the 3" cake jacks. The jacks have a screw type tip on that allow to adjust the height of jack up to 1 addition inch. So if your cake total height is in between 4 to 5", get the 4" cake jack. Yes there some of us that use them(LOL). HTH
Hammy

cathyscakes Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks so much, I had never heard of them either, just had me curious when I did. It sounded like a real time saver, was wondering why no one used them. Hey Hammy, are there measurements on them so when you screw out the dowel, you can adjust them all so they will all be exact. thanks

HamSquad Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:17am
post #9 of 12

The cake jack is a plastic dowel rod that has a flat, round plastic like screw, (sort of like a car tire jack). Just adjust to the height of the cake you need with in the additional 1 inch. For example if my cake didn't measure fully to 4 inches, just like with the other dowels, push in the cake jack fully extended, measure where you need for the height to be, just screw the flat disc down to height needed, then lay it next to the other cake jacks and adjust them to the same height. I like them in cases when the cake is slightly lower on one side or area, that jack can be adjusted. Theres no specific measure on the jack with the exception they come either 3" with additional inch or 4" with an additional in for cakes running 5" in height. Type in your web search - cake jacks to see a picture. HTH
Hammy

kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:34am
post #10 of 12

I used them a few times and didn't care for them. One thing I didn't like is they didn't seem flat on the bottom and often tilted thereby throwing the whole cake off.
The other problem was getting them back icon_sad.gif Always a problem.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:45am
post #11 of 12

Just saw this post!... This is all I have been using for years! I love them!!! thumbs_up.gif

HamSquad Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #12 of 12

Kakeladi, it is a problem getting them back. As for me (LOL), I don't try, the price of the cake jacks goes in with the price of the cake, so they belong to the owner of the cake. They do cost more than the other dowels. You say you had problems with them? Never had a problem so far. Did you use fondant and BC or a smooth type frosting? What happened?
Hammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%