Mushy Double Chocolate Layer Cake From Epicurious?

Baking By JaeRodriguez Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm by JaeRodriguez

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 5

Hey ladies! I have been making the Double Chocolate Layer Cake from epicurious for a while now and the past few times I have made it I have had nothing but trouble with it! This past time was my first time using 2'' pans and baking strips but two or three times before this one as well it has turned out VERY wet! No one says it's too mushy when they eat it, in fact they LOVE the cake but when I try to torte it it just crumbles off and then when I ice it the cake crumbles off or the icing rips cake off and I know my icing isn't too stiff, it's the cake! I have tried freezing after baking and just cooling and icing and both times I have had the same results... Does anyone have this same problem or do you know what I should do to fix this?

4 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 5

I've made that cake. It's delicious. It is very, very moist. I usually don't try to tort it. I think any choc. cake is a little harder to ice. I usually make my crumb coat a little thinner with the choc. cakes and that seems to help.

JaeRodriguez Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 5

Do you ice them frozen?

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 5

This is one of my favorite cakes! I have found that it is easier to work with and has a better texture after it has sat for awhile. I usually freeze for a couple of days before using and let it thaw overnight before using. I'm hope this helps.

JaeRodriguez Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks you guys, I hope that maybe I'm just frustrated in general because I LOVE this cake and everyone who eats it loves it but it's been such a pain to decorate the past couple times! arg! :]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%