Red Fondant

Decorating By hvanaalst Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 1:06pm by leily

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 13

I really don't want to buy fondant for the cake I am making later this week, but it is mostly red. Can anyone give me some good tips to making a really red fondant myself?

12 replies
kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 13

I've always had great success with wilton no taste red and sometime i add a touch of christmas red. It does take a lot- but do it in stages and let the fondant take the color because sometimes red takes a while to deepen. Because you have to use so much color the fondant can get soft too- i usually leave it out to air dry for a few minutes and that helps.

Hope that helps you!

hvanaalst Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:34am
post #3 of 13

Thanks. That is what I use too but it just never seems to be red enought. I am ususally just using it for small things tho, so it isn't a big deal, but this cake is a hockey jersey that is going to be mostly red and it is for a kids birthday so I wanted to make it myself so it would taste decent.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:38am
post #4 of 13

I have NEVER had any luck making my own red fondant. I did get a batch very red once but it tasted so bad that I had to throw it away icon_lol.gif

It is the only color that I buy. I am able to get a very nice black but no red for me.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:03am
post #5 of 13

red and black fondant ... it's SO worth it to buy it.

My cake supply store even keeps pint size containers of red and black icing that I buy and keep on hand for accents. SO worth it!

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:28am
post #6 of 13

too much stress in trying to make red and black for me...I find it changes the consistancy. I do not ever hesitate to BUY red or black icon_biggrin.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:30am
post #7 of 13

I am not sure what recipe you're using to make the fondant, but if you add the coloring to your liquid before you add the PS or other dry ingredients it takes a lot LESS work, time, and color. Then you can adjust the consistency with the dry ingredients as you kneed it in.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #8 of 13

I agree with the rest here, I love Satin Ices Red and Black. The chocolate brown tastes like a big tootsie roll. My problem is in my area no one sells it. And to buy online the shipping costs as much as the product.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:42am
post #9 of 13

I do have want to say that the only way I get black fondant is to make chocolate fondant first and add the black to that. If I need more than just a few accent pieces I buy the black as well.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:58am
post #10 of 13

Red and Black don't work for me either. I just buy it. If I'm doing a whole cake red or black, I usually airbrush it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:01am
post #11 of 13

I usually add an extra tablespoon of water when I'm making red fondant and it works well for me. I use Americolor's super red and it's really easy to get it too dark. You have to stop a couple shades lighter than you want it and then let it deepen overnight.

hvanaalst Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:23am
post #12 of 13

Thanks Ladies. I might try making some and coloring the liquid part first and see how that goes. I'll do that tomorrow and then if it doesn't look good enough tuesday after it sits over night, then i will suck it up and buy some. It is just for a friends daughter, but I am a huge hockey fan and would not be happy if it just wasn't red enough....lol. I have not bought satin ice before, but hopefully it tastes better and is easier to work with then the wilton stuff.

The store I shop at also has the Duff stuff, anyone have any experience with that?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:06pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanaalst

I have not bought before, but hopefully it tastes better and is easier to work with then the wilton stuff.

The two aren't even comparable. Satin ice is edible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanaalst

The store I shop at also has the Duff stuff, anyone have any experience with that?

Not for sure but from what I have seen people mention Duff's fondant is Satin Ice brand (with his label of course) Only thing is it's expensive compared to purchasing Satin Ice, but if you don't need much it will probably end up being about the same once you pay for shipping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%