How Do I Cover A Cross Pan In Fondant?

Decorating By King-Girlz Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 4:14am by AngelFood4

King-Girlz Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:39am
post #1 of 6

Hello!
I have a First Communion cake to do this upcoming weekend and the mother has asked that I make a cross cake. I have a Wilton Cross Pan but I am wondering where I start when I fondant this? There are many corners and nooks in this cake and I am getting nervous.
Where do I start? How do I do this?
Help!
Thanks in advance......
LL

5 replies
Win Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 6

LOL, this upcoming weekend must be the peak of 1st Holy Communion Cake Season! I am going to do a cross cake for the twin girls I baby-sit. I am assuming (but am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for others to weigh in ) that I will attack the issue the same as I go about fondanting a square cake. I plan to lay the fondant over the entire cross, work the corners first, then smooth the sides. I'm not sure if it will end up requiring a small cut on the corners to take off excess fondant... ?

thallo Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 6

I have covered this cake with fondant several times and it is a lot of fun. I'm sorry that I don't have photos to post, but I have never learned to do that. I can tell you that you need to work the inside corners of the cross first so that the fondant doesn't rip. Making sure that the fondant is not too thin can help with this. Just take your time and your cakes will be gorgeous and you will be anxious to do them again.

I can't wait to see your photos of your cakes.

chellescountrycakes Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 6

I just did a carved cross, and I just dumped the fondant on, then started at the top, I did cut, but it was more of a cutting of the excess hangover then slicing up the fondant. once I was able to get it more fitting, it sorta fell into place. I think I might have cut at the inside corners.

The main thing I fiqured out is to elevate the cake, I think it was indidebi that always says to put it on a crisco can or something. This is what made it the easiest was having 'air' under the cake so I could get rid of the excess easy.

King-Girlz Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 6

I did it! So happy with the results! Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be! So relieved!
Thanks so much for ALL of your HELP! I appreciate your thoughts and input!

AngelFood4 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 4:14am
post #6 of 6

a bit after the fact but I just read about this yesterday. Below is the link. Sharon Zambito covered the sides 1st then added the top, used a crimper to seal the edges together.

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/holy-cake.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%