Icing Colors?

Decorating By Shepsit Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm by TexasSugar

Shepsit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shepsit Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 10:12am
post #1 of 9

Hi everbody,

I live in Cyprus. I can not find a good icing color in here. I may order it from UK. But yesterday I found Dr.Oetker's food coloring in the market. Can I use a food coloring to color fondant? I've also read some comments about Wilton's icing colorings, lots of people here do not like it, would you please share your ideas, experiences about Wilton's icing colors?

Thank you...

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 9

Liquid food coloring cannot be used to color icing or fondant as it is too thin and will cause the icing or fondant to break down. Wilton's colors are not as good as other brands, but they are better than the liquid food color. Brands more popular with the pros are Americolor and Chefmaster.

HTH!

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 9

Americolors are so rich in color, it only takes a few drops compared to using almost a whole jar of wilton pastes. I never get the correct colors from wilton colors that I do from americolors. You can probably find them online.

Shepsit Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 9

prterrell and casme thank you for your comments, I will try to order Americolors online, thanks again.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 9

I use both Wilton and Americolor. There are some colors I like more in one brand than the other. To each their own.

Shepsit Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:50am
post #6 of 9

hi again,

I finally found Americolor and I'm sooo happy icon_smile.gif
I found these colors: super black, leaf green, lemon yellow, red red, sky blue. When I was ordering, I saw silver and gold colors and I bought them aswell. But when I get them, I saw this label on gold and silver color's bottle: "Silver Sheen Airbrush Color" and "Gold Sheen Airbrush Color".
Other colors are gel paste but silver and gold are seems liquid. Can I use them with my fondant like others?

TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 9

I wouldn't mix the airbrush colors in with the fondant as that would make it sticky. But you can paint it on to the fondant.

Americolor does make a gold gel, but it isn't the shimmier colors.

Shepsit Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 9

Thank u TexasSugar. U said I can paint them on to the fondant, do I have to use an airbrush tool or can I paint them with a brush?

TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 9

You can just use a brush. The skate board in my photos was done using airbrush colors, a paint brush and crusting buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%