Buyin Scal Question

Lounge By DALIG Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 9:16pm by tigerhawk83

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:56am
post #1 of 6

K sorry that i am so ignorant about computer software but I have a question, I want to buy SCAL the prices are:

Downloadable + CD-ROM
$74.95 (Easter Special)
Downloadable only
$59.95 (Easter Special)

but since i just ordered the new cricut cake i am kind of broke and i was thinking of getting the downloadable wich is 60.00 but my question is, If I get a new computer because my current compurer brake or something do I have to buy the software again, or can i get the cd rom too and can i install it in multiple computers.

I hope i makd sense and thank you for your time.

5 replies
JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:03am
post #2 of 6

Sorry I don't know the answer. Maybe someone out there that has SCAL can tell us if you just get the downloadable is it copy protected or can it be backed up to disk, or whe downloading initially can it be saved to disk first then loaded onto your computer.

Some of these programs give you a registration code that way if your computer crashes or something you can go back to the download site and download it again just by putting in your key code.

So maybe someone knows . I will go over to the SCAL site and see what I can find out.

BRB

DALIG Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:12am
post #3 of 6

thank you for replying and now that i read your reply (translation to what i said) makes a lot more sense than what i wrote.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:31am
post #4 of 6

Ok... from what I understand you download the trial version, then purchase the activation license code.

When you pen the trial version you can register that with the activation code you are given at purchase.

The FAQ's on the SCAL site say it can be activated on a second computer as long as it is for use by the same person and not used on both computers at the same time.

So I THINK if something were to happen to your computer you could go back and download the trial version again and then activate it again with your same code as long as you keep a cope of your registration code and info.

It sounds a lot like the embroidery program I use for sewing and that is how it works.

Like I said maybe someone that already has it can give some more info.

I haven't decided if I am going to get the SCAL or the MTC program yet . My cricut cake won't be here till May 7th so I am still researching.

DALIG Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:52am
post #5 of 6

thank you for the info that was really helpful, I am too trying to decide what to get, the SCAL or MTC, I ve read that MTC is better than SCAL but I am leaning towards SCAL because it has more info than MTC in their webpage, but I guess i will wait until i get the cricut cake and get the trials. K thank you very much.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 6

I use SCAL - it is not copy protected but you do need the activation key to use it (trial version cuts cross hatches in your image when it cuts - but at least you can play around awhile before paying for it). Once you download it, I burned a copy of the downloaded file on CD and wrote the activation key on the CD, so if I have a computer crash, I can reinstall it with no problem. I don't know anything about MTC except what I've read here about the lawsuit with Provocraft - which would push me toward SCAL.

I think SCAL also give free updates within the same version - when I bought it last fall I think I got version 2.0; version 2.012 is on the CraftEdge website now and I downloaded that and used my original activation key and it worked. Now if they go to version 3.x they I suspect you would have to pay again but I believe as long as it's version 2.x you can continue to get free updates within that version.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%